SMRT Bus Service 858 is a trunk route from Woodlands Regional Interchange and looping at Changi Airport, passing through Woodlands Avenue 9, Sembawang, Yishun, Lentor and Jalan Kayu. Much of this route plies express sectors along the Tampines & Seletar Expressways, and at 73.4km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore.
|Route||Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Woodlands Ave 9, Sembawang, Yishun, Lentor, TPE, Jln Kayu, TPE|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||MAN NL323F|
|Departure Times from Woodlands||Daily:
0515 – 2300 (Full Route)
2314 – 2314 (One Trip | Terminates at Changi Airport PTB2)
2330 – 0030 (Four Trips (858A) | Terminates at Blk 923, Yishun Ave 2)
|Departure Times from Changi PTB2||Daily:
0629 – 0023 (To Woodlands Regional Int)
|0630-0830: 07 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 13 mins
After 1930: 12 – 19 mins
|Notes||- At 2314hrs, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will terminate at Changi Airport PTB2 Basement.
– From 2330hrs onwards, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will be renumbered as 858A, and terminate at Yishun Ave 2(Blk 923). The last bus will depart from Woodlands Regional Int at 0030hrs.
Service 858 is a residential and inter-town route plying between the housing estates of Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, and stretching far east to Changi Airport. Much of its route plies express sectors along the Seletar Expressway (SLE), Tampines Expressway (TPE) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE). At 73.4km long, it is the longest bus route in Singapore (after the shortening of NightRider NR7 in 2014). The ride from Yishun to Changi Airport takes about 35 minutes in smooth traffic.
At 2314hrs daily, the bus leaving Woodlands Regional Int will terminate at Changi Airport PTB2 Basement. From 2330hrs to 0030hrs daily, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will be renumbered as 858A, and terminate at Yishun Ave 2 (Blk 923). From Changi Airport PTB2, the last bus returning to Woodlands departs at 0023hrs daily.
As the quickest transport link from housing estates of the North to Changi Airport, as well as providing valuable inter-town connections in the North, this service encounters moderate to high demand throughout the day. Due to its extended length, bus bunching is relatively common, which BSRF is attempting to minimize.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters each Airport PTB. It remains unknown if Changi Airport prohibits bendy buses within the Airport basements.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive.
- Yishun Avenue 2 (Opp Yishun Sports Hall) → Woodlands Reg Int
Daily: 0530hrs – 0700hrs
Caters to inter-town commuters before the first bus arrives from Changi Airport.
- Service 858A: Woodlands Regional Int → Yishun Ave 2 (Aft NorthPoint Shop Ctr)
Daily: 2330hrs – 0030hrs
Fare: See Fare Table.
Fleet: Service 858′s fleet comprises a full fleet of MAN NL323F buses, with additional MAN NL323Fs added under the BSEP scheme. Bendy buses are not deployed possibly due to regulations on vehicles entering Changi Airport basement.
Route Information: <List of acronyms>
|Loop Service (via Changi Airport PTB 3, 1, 2)|
- 1996 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1996 (04 Feb): Introduced between Yishun Int and Woodlands Regional Int, via Gambas Avenue and Yishun Ave 3
- 1997 (02 Nov): Extended to loop at Changi Airport, and amended to Yishun Ave 5
- 2001: Calls at additional pair of stops (68111 & 68119) along Jln Kayu outside Seletar Camp Gate
- 2007 (11 Nov): Calls at Changi Airport Terminal 3 basement stop
- 2010 (28 Mar): Amended to ply along Sembawang Way, Canberra Road and Yishun Central 2, serving the Sembawang estate and Yishun Polyclinic/Khoo Teck Puat Hosp.
- 2010 (29 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (05 Oct): Calls at a new pair of bus stops along the slip road of Tampines Expressway near Punggol Flyover