SBS Transit Service 8 is a trunk route connecting Tampines and Toa Payoh through Kaki Bukit and MacPherson. Along with Service 28 and 31, it is one of three services plying between Tampines and Toa Payoh.
|Route||Tampines Bus Interchange ↔ Toa Payoh Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Kaki Bukit, Ubi, MacPherson, PIE|
|Route Length||18.0km (D1) | 17.7km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Changi Bus Park (CGBP)
Braddell Bus Park (BRBP)
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Volvo B10M Mark IV
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2300 (Weekdays)
0545 – 2300 (Saturday)
0600 – 2300 (Sunday/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0600 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 05 – 08 mins
After 1930: 08 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 05 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 06 – 08 mins
After 1930: 08 – 16 mins
Introduced in 1990, Service 8 is an inter-town route serving between Toa Payoh and Tampines, passing through MacPherson, Ubi, Kaki Bukit, Tampines Ave 2 and Tampines Ave 7. The route serves a unique catchment of both residents (of Toa Payoh, Kaki Bukit and Tampines) and workers heading to the industrial estates (around Ubi and MacPherson), leading to high patronage throughout the day. Double-deck buses make up the bulk of the fleet, but single-deck buses are more common during weekends.
Due to close proximity to future Downtown Line (Stage 3) stations, demand will likely be affected by the opening of the new line, scheduled for 2017.
- Macpherson Rd (Bef Davidson Rd) → Tampines Int
Fare: Charges basic fares. See Fare Table.
Fleet: Service 8′s fleet has a majority of Volvo Olympians as well as minority of other buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1989 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1990: Introduced by SBS Transit as a trunk service, plying Pasir Ris – Toa Payoh
- 1992: Shortened to Tampines – Toa Payoh
- 1995: Amended with the opening of Temasek Polytechnic to ply:
– (Direction 1) Tampines Ave 1, (Ave 10), Bedok North Rd, Bedok Reservoir Rd instead of Tampines Ave 1, Bedok Reservoir Rd.
– (Direction 2) Bedok Reservoir Rd, Bedok North Rd, (Tampines Ave 10), Ave 1 instead of Bedok Reservoir Rd, Tampines Ave 1.
- 2011 (04 Sep): No longer calls at the bus stop after Moonstone Lane along Serangoon Rd due to the closure of Whampoa North.
- Refer to this article
- 2011: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2011.