View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SBS Transit Bus Service 16 is a trunk service plying between Bedok and Bukit Merah, passing through Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard Road and Tiong Bahru.
SBST Mercedes-Benz Citaro (SBS6162C) – Service 16
|Route||Bedok Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marine Parade, Joo Chiat, Old Airport, Orchard, Tiong Barhu|
|Route Length||21.9km (D1) | 21.3km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Ayer Rajah Bus Park (ARBP)|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B10M Mark IV
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 09 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 12 mins
After 1930: 10 – 12 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 13 mins
After 1930: 10 – 13 mins
Spanning from Bedok to Bukit Merah, Service 16 connects the housing estates of Marine Parade, Old Airport, Bukit Merah and Tiong Bahru, as well as private estates around Joo Chiat and Upper East Coast, with connections to the City areas of Bras Basah, Orchard Road and Havelock. The route is well utilized between housing estates and the City, while also benefiting the Joo Chiat area with bus connections by plying a unique stretch of Joo Chiat Road.
The route compliments Service 14 between the Mountbatten area and Orchard Road. Between Marine Parade and Orchard Road, the route compliments Service 36 by often being less crowded, although taking a longer route. Demand for the service is moderate to high throughout the day owing to unique sectors and City-estate connections.
From September 2010, the route was amended to skip the Stadium area due to the construction of the new Singapore Sports Hub. It remains to be seen if Service 16 will be amended back to serve the Stadium area, which is currently, only served by Service 11.
This service will be affected by the Orchard Road Pedestrian Night bus diversions on the first Saturday night of every month from Oct 2014 – Mar 2015.
Service 16 is a wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB) since 03 Dec 2011.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 16′s fleet comprises a majority of Mercedes-Benz Citaros, with a small number of Volvo B10M MkIVs and Scania K230UBs. Double-deck buses are not used likely due to small roads and height limitations around Joo Chiat.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1976 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1976: Introduced between Marine Terrace and Telok Blangah Heights
- 1980: Amended to Bt Merah Int
- 1981: Amended to Marine Parade Ter
- 1987: Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium in both directions after 1845hrs
- 1990/91: Amended to serve Zion Rd / Kim Seng Rd / Outram Rd instead of Lower Delta Rd and River Valley Rd
- 1993: Extended to Changi Airport PTB1 and PTB2 following merger with Service 149
- 1994: Introduction of Express Service 16E, which plies along ECP on certain sectors and operates during the peak hours
- ???: Amended to serve Kallang Park / National Stadium all-day
- 1998 (Sep): Shortened back to Marine Parade Terminal when Express service 16E was converted to full-day trunk service and renumbered Service 36
- 2001 (16 Sep): Amended to loop at Siglap Link with the closure of Marine Parade Ter
- 2002 (Feb): Amended to ply Stadium Walk/Cres due to Circle Line construction works.
- 2004 (20 Apr): Diverted via Kallang Road until 6th Dec 2004 due to Nicoll Highway Collapse
- 2007 (19 Aug): Extended to Bedok Interchange via Upper East Coast Rd, Bedok South Ave 1, Bedok South Rd & Bedok North Ave 1
- 2010 (29 Sep): Amended to Mountbatten Rd, skipping Stadium Blvd, Stadium Cres, Stadium Rd & Stadium Walk due to Singapore Sports Hub construction works.
- 2011 (19 Nov): Amended to Bedok Temp Int
- 2014 (30 Nov): Amended to Bedok Integrated Transport Hub
- Refer to this article
- 2010: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2010.
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles