SBS Transit Service 27 is a trunk route running from Hougang Central and looping at Changi Airport, passing through Sengkang and Tampines. It has an express sector between Sengkang and Tampines Ave 10 along the TPE, and between Tampines Avenue 5 and Changi Airport along the PIE.
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↺ Changi Airport PTB2 Bus Terminal (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Buangkok, Sengkang, Tampines Ave 10, 7, 4, 5, Airport Boulevard|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Scania K230UB
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0515hrs – 2335hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0530hrs – 2335hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from Airport PTB2||0550hrs – 0030hrs (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0555hrs – 0030hrs (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 09 mins
1700-1930: 06 – 10 mins
After 1930: 09 – 10 mins
Introduced in 1987, Service 27 is one of six daily services to Changi Airport, linking the Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 & 3 with the residential towns of Tampines, Sengkang, Buangkok and Hougang. By using the Tampines Expressway (TPE) between Tampines and Sengkang, it serves as an important route connecting the two towns. In fact, most of service 27’s demand comes from the Sengkang – Tampines sector, with Shortworking Trip 27A supplementing AM Peak demand towards Tampines and PM Peak downroutes from Tampines Avenue 4 heading back to Hougang.
From Tampines Central, Service 34 also heads to the Airport, but takes a longer route through Tampines East. In addition, Service 72 offers comparable travel time between Tampines Central and Hougang, but does not service Buangkok or Sengkang.
Changi Airport Passenger Terminal Buildings (PTBs) 1, 2 and 3 have their bus stops integrated into their basement levels, which also serves as a cargo loading and unloading bay. Security checks for any unattended or suspicious articles are carried out before a bus enters each Airport PTB. Changi Aiport PTB2 has a small office run by SBST staff, and a nearby toilet where drivers can take a short toilet break. Because of height restrictions, double-decker buses are unable to enter Changi Airport basement.
Occasionally when Changi Airport basement is closed, buses will be diverted to to T1/T2/T3 Departure Drive where a temporary bus stop will be set up.
- Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Changi Airport
Weekdays, Sat: 0505hrs, 0515hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0505hrs, 0515hrs, 0529hrs
- Tampines Avenue 4 (Tampines Stn/Int) → Hougang Int
Weekdays PM Peak
- Service 27A: Sengkang East Avenue (Blk 203B) → Tampines Avenue 4 (Opp Century Sq)
Weekdays AM Peak hours
Fare: See Fare Table.
Fleet: Service 27 operates a mix of wheelchair-accessible Scania K230UB and Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. Double-deck buses are not deployed due to height restrictions at Changi Airport basement.
Route Information: (List of acronyms)
|Loop Service (via PTB2 Basement)|
- 1987 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1988: Introduced as Tampines – Changi Airport PTB.
- 1990: Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB2
- 1992: Extended to Pasir Ris Int
- 1993: Amended to serve Tampines Int in both directions
- 1994: Amended into Pasir Ris St 52, while still stopping at Tampines Int
- 1995: Amended back to Tampines Interchange with the introduction of Service 15 and the extension of Service 53 to Changi Airport PTB.
- 1999: Extended to Sengkang Terminal when SBS took over control of Sengkang bus services
- 2001 (28 Apr): Terminus relocated to Sengkang Temp Int
- 2002 (29 Dec): Extended to Hougang Central Int, via Sengkang Ctrl (Buangkok MRT), Hougang Ave 6 & 10.
- 2007 (11 Nov): Amended to serve Changi Airport PTB3
- 2009 (20 Oct): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (09 Jan): Converted to loop service
- 2014 (24 Aug): Calls at Tampines Expressway (Punggol Road) Bus Interchange
- Refer to this article
- 2002: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.