SBS Transit Bus Service 31 is a trunk route between Tampines and Toa Payoh, passing through Tanah Merah, Marine Parade, Old Airport and Boon Keng. With service 8 and 28, it is one of three services between these two interchanges.
|Route||Tampines Bus Interchange ↔ Toa Payoh Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Tanah Merah, Marine Parade, Old Airport, Geylang, Boon Keng|
|Route Length||23.1km (D1) | 23.4km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Braddell Bus Park (BRBP)
Changi Bus Park (CGBP)
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Volvo B10M Mark IV
|Shifts||28 – 29 buses|
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 2335 (Weekdays)
0530 – 2330 (Sat, Sun/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 15 mins
After 1930: 13 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 09 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 12 mins
After 1930: 14 – 17 mins
Service 31 is a inter-town trunk route between Tampines and Toa Payoh, passing through Simei Avenue, Bedok, Marine Parade, Tanjong Katong, Old Airport, Kallang and Boon Keng. Notable sectors of high demand include: Between Tampines Interchange and Tanah Merah Station (serving students of ITE College East), and between Bedok MRT and Marine Parade. Double-deck buses make up the majority of the fleet owing to high demand throughout the day.
Due to exceedingly high demand between Tampines Interchange and ITE College East, Shortworking trip 31A operates during school days with up to five buses. These same buses do downroute trips from Tanah Merah Station to Tampines during the afternoons and evenings.
- New Upp Changi Road (Bedok Stn) → Toa Payoh Int
Weeekdays & Sat: 0530hrs onwards
- Old Airport Road (Blk 39) → Tampines Int
Weekdays & Sat: 0530hrs onwards
Sundays/PHs: 0540hrs onwards
- New Upp Changi Rd (Tanah Merah Stn) → Tampines Int
Weekdays PM Peak (reduced during ITE College East holidays)
- Service 31A: Tampines Int → New Upp Changi Road (Tanah Merah Stn)
Weekdays AM Peak (excluding ITE College East holidays)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 31′s fleet comprises a mix of Volvo B9TL, Volvo B10TL, Volvo Olympian, Volvo B10M Mark IV and Scania K230UB buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1970s – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Reorganization, ran between Changi Rd and Prince Edward Rd under Associated Bus Services Ltd
- 1971: Extended to loop at Outram Park
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1979 (25 Feb): Extended to Bedok Interchange and shortened to loop at Kallang Park (near Kallang Sports Complex)
- 1985: Extended to Tampines Ave 5 Ter
- 1987 (29 Nov): Amended to Tampines Int
- 1993: Extended to Toa Payoh Int, skipping Kallang Sports Complex
- 1998 (31 May): Extended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 2002 (19 May): Terminus relocated to air-conditioned Toa Payoh Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2005 (26 Jun): Amended to Sims Way between Kallang and Guillemard Rd, skipping Mountbatten Rd due to road realignment works in the area
- 2006 (19 Mar) to 2008 (28 Dec): Diverted via Cassia Link, Guillemard Rd and Guillemard Camp Rd in both directions due to the construction of Dakota MRT Station.
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2015 (22 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1993: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1993.
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles