SBS Transit Bus Service 40 is a residential trunk route running from Bedok Interchange and looping at MacPherson Estate, going via Siglap Road, East Coast, Paya Lebar and Aljunied.
^ SBST Mercedes-Benz Citaro (SG1148P) – Service 40
|Route||Bedok Bus Interchange ↺ MacPherson Estate (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Siglap Road, East Coast, Paya Lebar, Aljunied, Merpati Rd|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Bedok North Bus Depot (BNDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Scania K230UB
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0545 – 2330 (Weekdays/Sat)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 12 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 15 – 18 mins
After 1930: 18 – 19 mins
Service 40 serves MacPherson Estate, Tanjong Katong, East Coast and Siglap Road with connections to nearby MRT stations along the East-West Line, namely Aljunied, Paya Lebar and Bedok. With multiple services duplicating its route across various sections of route, Service 40 fulfills more of a supplementary route and operating at low frequencies throughout the day. It is also the only bus service to serve the full stretch of Siglap Road daily.
- Merpati Rd (Aft Jln Anggerek) → Bedok Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0557hrs, 0609hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 40’s fleet comprises Scania K230UB and Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses.
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as part of the 1971 Bus Rationalization between Telok Kurau and Prince Edward Rd, operated by United Bus Company
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1975: Amended to Kampong Chai Chee (Chai Chee Ter)
- 1983: Shortened to MacPherson Estate.
- 1985: Extended to Bedok Int due to the closure of Chai Chee Ter.
- 1992 (Jun): Plies Telok Kurau Rd & Siglap Rd after merging with service 158 (then Bedok – Toa Payoh)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles