SBS Transit Bus Service 51 is a trunk service plying between Hougang Central and Jurong East, passing through Hougang Ave 3, Eunos, Bugis, Clarke Quay, Alexandra, Commonwealth, Pasir Panjang, West Coast and Pandan Gardens. At 37.7km, it is among the longest bidirectional routes in Singapore.
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↔ Jurong East Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Hougang Ave 3, Eunos, Bugis, Clarke Quay, Alexandra, Commonwealth, Pasir Panjang, West Coast, Pandan Gardens|
|Route Length||37.7km (D1) | 36.3km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)
Soon Lee Bus Park (SLBP)
|Current Fleet||Dennis Trident
Volvo B10M Mark IV
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 2345 (Weekdays, Sat)
0545 – 2345 (Sun/PHs)
0000 – 0020 (Service 51A, terminates at Pandan Gardens)*
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 – 13 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 18 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 12 mins
After 1930: 12 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 12 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 16 mins
After 1930: 10 – 16 mins
|Notes||* From 0000hrs to 0020hrs, buses leaving Jurong East will be renumbered 51A and terminate at Pandan Gardens (Blk 407)|
Service 51 is a major trunk route connecting West and Northeast of Singapore, and an important trunk route in many of its catchment areas. From Hougang Central, the route passes through Hougang Avenue 3, Eunos, Geylang, Bugis and Clarke Quay, continuing west to Havelock, Alexandra, Queenstown, Pasir Panjang, West Coast and Pandan Gardens, terminating at Jurong East Interchange.
For residents of Pandan Gardens, Service 51 offers the quickest route to Jurong East Interchange, and duplicates Service 30 and 143 to Pasir Panjang. Service 51 also offers key connections from Alexandra and Havelock to the Central areas. In the East, demand is strong between Hougang and Ubi/Kaki Bukit industrial estates, a sector shared with Service 87.
Due to its long route length and congestion prone areas, journey times are often increased during peak hours. A full journey can reach 210mins (3hrs and 30mins) from Jurong East to Hougang during PM Peak, as compared to around 150mins off-peak.
Special Departures: (effective Jun 2014)
- Hougang Ave 3 (Aft Kim Chuan Rd) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0520hrs, 0531hrs
- Commonwealth Avenue (Queenstown Stn) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0702hrs, 0830hrs
- Pandan Gardens (Blk 410) → Jurong East Int
Weekdays: 0540hrs, 0553hrs, 0606hrs, 0617hrs, 0627hrs, 0638hrs, 0648hrs, 0706hrs
Saturdays: 0540hrs, 0555hrs, 0611hrs, 0626hrs, 0642hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0600hrs, 0617hrs, 0633hrs, 0650hrs
- West Coast Road (Blk 601) → Hougang Central Int
- Service 51A: Jurong East Int → Pandan Gdns (Blk 407)
Weekdays: 0003hrs, 0020hrs (Last 2 buses)
Weekend/PHs: 0002hrs, 0020hrs (Last 2 buses)
The last bus of Service 51A will be extended to 1:10am on eves of Public Holidays to compliment the extension of train operating hours, except for eves of Christmas, New Year & Lunar New Year (timings announced closer to occasion). There will also be no extension of service hours on a public holiday that falls on a Sunday
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 51 has a diverse fleet, comprising of a majority of Volvo B9TLs. In addition, Volvo Olympian, Dennis Trident, Volvo B10M MkIV, Scania K230UB and Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses are deployed.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971: Introduced between Jalan Eunos (End) and Alexandra Rd. operated by Associated Bus Services
- 1973: Operated by Singapore Bus Services (SBS)
- 1987: Integrated with Service 54 and extended to Hougang (South) Int.
- 1988: Integrated with Service 192 (Jurong – South Canal) and extended to Jurong East.
- 2002: Amended to ply Pandan Gardens.
- 2004 (15 Feb): Exended to Hougang Central Interchange via Hougang Ave 3 and Upp Serangoon Rd with closure of Hougang South Int.
- 2007 (22 May): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2011 (17 Dec): Amended to Jurong East Temp Int, calls at bus stop Blk 131 along Jurong Gateway Rd
- 2014 (23 Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- Refer to this article
- 2004: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2004.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles