SBS Transit Bus Service 56 is a trunk route running between Bishan and Marina Centre, via Toa Payoh, Novena, Little India and Bras Basah.
|Route||Bishan Bus Interchange ↔ Marina Centre Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Toa Payoh, Novena, Little India, Selegie Rd/Bencoolen St, Middle Rd|
|Route Length||12.5km (D1) | 12.9km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0600 – 2345 (Weekdays, Sundays/PHs)
0600 – 0015 (Saturdays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 10 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 18 mins
1700-1930: 12 – 16 mins
After 1930: 15 – 17 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 17 mins
0831-1659: 10 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 15 mins
After 1930: 15 – 16 mins
Service 56 serves as a supplementary route connecting the residential estates of Toa Payoh and Bishan with the city areas of Marina Centre, Middle Road, Little India and Novena. The large area of coverage between Bishan and Toa Payoh makes it a convenient inter-town route.
Service hours are extended on Saturdays to cater to late-night commuters in the city. The last bus departing Marina Centre is extended to 12:15am.
Special Departures: (effective Oct 2013)
- Bt Timah Road (Little India Stn) → Bishan Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0604hrs
- Lorong 2 Toa Payoh (Toa Payoh Stn) → Marina Centre Ter
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 56′s fleet consists of a majority of Scania K230UBs, Mercedes-Benz Citaros, with a handful of Volvo Olympians and Volvo B9TLs.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1985 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1985: Introduced from Bishan St 11 to Toa Payoh (Loop)
- 1986 (28 Dec): Amended to serve Bishan Ter along Bishan St 13, and looping at Toa Payoh
- 1989 (30 Apr): Terminus relocated to Bishan Int.
- 1990 (02 Sep): Merged with Service 150 and extended to Marina Centre
- 2012 (30 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1990: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1990.