SBS Transit Service 72 is a trunk service plying between Yio Chu Kang Interchange and Tampines Interchange, passing through Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, Hougang and Tampines Road.
|Route||Yio Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ Tampines Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, Hougang, Tampines Rd|
|Route Length||17.5km (D1) | 16.6km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Volvo B10M Mark IV
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays)
0545 – 2330 (Saturday)
0600 – 2330 (Sunday/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0515 – 2345 (Weekdays, Saturday)
0545 – 2345 (Sunday/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 03 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 02 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 04 – 08 mins
After 1930: 12 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 03 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 03 – 07 mins
After 1930: 07 – 13 mins
|Notes||Operates on a Special Weekdays schedule during Nanyang Polytechnic and ITE College Central vacations.|
Service 72 is an inter-town route connecting residential towns of Ang Mo Kio, Hougang and Tampines. It is the only service plying Tampines Road, and is the fastest bus route between Hougang Central and Tampines (compared to Service 27).
Since the opening of ITE College Central, demand for this route is exceedingly high during peak hours. A large number of Split-shift buses are used cope with demand, and overall fleet size has been increased by over 50% (as SBS Transit says).
- Hougang Ctrl (Opp Hougang Ctrl Int) → Tampines Int
Sundays/PHs: 0550hrs, 0608hrs
- Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (ITE College Central) → Tampines Int
Weekdays: 1549hrs, 1814hrs
- Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (Opp ITE College Central) → Yio Chu Kang Int
Weekdays: 1428hrs, 1445hrs, 1502hrs, 1505hrs, 1514hrs, 1519hrs, 1522hrs, 1531hrs, 1536hrs, 1548hrs, 1602hrs, 1605hrs, 1619hrs, 1622hrs, 1636hrs, 1648hrs, 1654hrs, 1706hrs, 1712hrs, 1724hrs, 1739hrs, 1742hrs, 1758hrs, 1811hrs, 1817hrs, 1830hrs, 1848hrs
- 72A: Yio Chu Kang Ter → Hougang Central (opp Hougang Central Int)
Weekdays AM Peak only [0612hrs – 1006hrs]
- 72B: Yio Chu Kang Ter → Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (ITE College Ctrl)
Weekdays AM Peak only (excluding ITE/Poly vacation) [0700hrs – 1015hrs]
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 72’s fleet comprises a majority of Volvo B9TLs, with smaller numbers of single-deck buses. Volvo B9TL Wrights were added under the BSEP scheme.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1996 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1996: Introduced as weekday peak-hour service between Yio Chu Kang Ter and Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 (Seagate). Operating at 0630hrs-0900hrs and 1600hrs-1830hrs.
- 1998: Amended to Tampines – Yio Chu Kang; full-day service after merger with Service 80
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Hougang Central, under Plase 1 of NEL Rationalisation
- 2007 (27 May):: Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (30 Jul): Introduction of shortworking trip 72A from AMK Ave 8 to Hougang Ctrl during AM Peak hours
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (02 Jan): Introduction of shortworking trip 72B with the opening of ITE College Central; YCK Int to ITE during AM Peak hours
- Refer to this article
- 2003: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.
External Links & References: