View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SBS Transit Bus Service 81 is a trunk service plying between Tampines Int and looping at Serangoon Central, passing through Tampines East, Pasir Ris and Kovan. It has an express sector along the KPE and TPE between Pasir Ris Drive 12 and Tampines Rd.
|Route||Tampines Bus Interchange ↺ Serangoon Central (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Tampines East, Pasir Ris, TPE/KPE, Kovan|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Changi Bus Park (CGBP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
– Volvo B10TL
– Volvo Olympian
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays)
0545 – 2330 (Saturday, Sunday/PHs)
|Departure Times from S’goon Ctrl||0545 – 0030 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 0030 (Sunday/PHs)
|0630-0830: 10 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 11 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 14 mins
After 1930: 11 – 19 mins
Service 81 is an inter-town service, connecting the housing estates of Serangoon, Kovan, Pasir Ris and Tampines with an express sector along the Kallang – Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) and Tampines Expressway (TPE).
Service 53 also plies between Pasir Ris and Serangoon, but takes an alternate route. Good demand is also present between Tampines and Pasir Ris.
In 2011, this route was converted from a bi-directional trunk service to a loop service owing to lack of space in the new Serangoon Interchange.
- Serangoon Central (S’goon Stn) → Tampines Int
0545 (Weekdays, Sat), 0600 (Sun)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 81′s fleet comprises a mix of Volvo B9TL, Volvo B10TL, Scania K230UB, Volvo Olympian and Volvo B10M MkIV buses.
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as a Tampines Rd (near Upp Changi Rd) – New Bridge Rd service. Operated by Associated Bus Services.
- 1987 (06 Jun): Amended to New Bridge Rd Terminal
- 1988 (23 Oct): Extended to Tampines Int.
- 1989: Amended to ply Loyang Ave, Pasir Ris Dr 1 and Elias Rd, skipping TPE.
- 1996 (03 Sep): Amended to ply Pasir Ris Dr 12 and TPE instead of Elias Rd and (Old) Tampines Rd.
- 1998: Amended to ply Middle Road, skipping Stamford Rd and Bras Basah Rd
- 2003 (27 Jul): Shortened to Serangoon Int, under Phase 2 of NEL Rationalisation. Also amended to Hougang Ave 3 between Tampines Rd and Upp Serangoon Rd
- 2007 (23 Jun): Amended to ply part of KPE (between Defu Flyover at Tampines Rd & Tampines Flyover at TPE) temporarily named as Tampines Service Rd.
- 2011 (03 Sep): Amended to loop at Serangoon Central and Boundary Road following the opening of the new Serangoon Bus Interchange.
- Refer to this article
- 2011: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2011.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles