Tower Transit has taken over operations of this Bus Service since 29 May 2016.
View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru here!
SMRT Bus Service 106 is a trunk route linking Bukit Batok with Shenton Way, passing through Toh Tuck, Clementi, Buona Vista, Holland Village, Tanglin, Orchard Road, Bras Basah, Suntec City, Bayfront and Shenton Way.
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↔ Shenton Way Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Toh Tuck, Clementi, Bunoa Vista, Holland Village, Tanglin, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut, Suntec City, Bayfront, Shenton Way|
|Route Length||22.1km (D1) | 21.9km (D2)|
|GCM Route Package
||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot (BUDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Alexander Dennis Enviro500
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0600 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 04 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 14 mins
After 1930: 10 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 11 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: 10 – 15 mins
Service 106 serves the residential estates of Bukit Batok, Clementi and Buona Vista, providing a direct bus connection to the Orchard Road and Downtown Core areas. It is a vital connection not just between residential estates, but also many It also offers many links within different parts of the city, such as Orchard Road, Bras Basah, Marina Centre, Marina Bay Sands, Downtown and Shenton Way.
Service 106 offers the fastest bus connection between Bukit Batok and Clementi, and apart from express services, is the only bus route connecting the Orchard shopping belt with Marina Bay Sands and surrounding attractions at Bayfront.
Formerly an SBS route since the 1980s, the route was transferred to TIBS in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. SMRT’s Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses appeared on the route since Aug 2014, marking a comeback since SBS deployed double-deck buses on Service 106 in 1986.
This service will be affected by the Orchard Road Pedestrian Night bus diversions on the first Saturday night of every month from Oct 2014 – Mar 2015.
- Service 106A: Bukit Batok Interchange → Commonwealth Avenue West (Clementi MRT)
Weekdays AM Peak only
Service 106A was originally introduced between Marina Boulevard and Marina Bay Sands during the Formula 1 race period. With Bayfront Bridge closed to traffic, there were no bus services to Marina Bay Sands, and hence 106A shuttled commuters between Marina Bay Sands and Marina Bay MRT Station. This service was discontinued after the completion of the Circle Line Extension and service number re-used.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 106′s fleet comprises MAN A22, Mercedes-Benz O405G, and Alexander Dennis Enviro500 buses.
This service performs crossover trips to Nightrider NR5 on Fridays, Saturdays and eves of Public Holidays.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1974 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Service Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1974: Introduced as Serangoon Gardens Est – Commonwealth Ave/North Buona Vista Rd by SBS, replacing former Service 103A
- 1977: Amended to Orchard Rd
- 1981: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1983: Amended to ply Lor Chuan, skipping CTE
- 1985: Extended from Buona Vista to Bukit Batok Ter
- 1987 (23 Sep): Amended to Bt Batok Int
- 1988 (13 Mar): Amended to Serangoon Int following closure of Serangoon Gdns Ter
- 2000 (24 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2003 (27 Jul): Shortened from Serangoon to Marina Centre Ter under Phase 2 of NEL Rationalisation
- 2010 (26 Apr): Extended to Shenton Way Ter via Bayfront and Marina Bay
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (01 Dec): Calls at a new bus stop (03529 Downtown Stn) along Central Blvd
- 2014 (18 Aug): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2014 (28 Sep): Route Amendments in Marina South Area: Amended from Maxwell Rd / Straits View to ply Robinson Rd and Marina Blvd towards Bukit Batok, calling at four additional bus stops. Calls at the relocated Bus stop 03539 Marina Bay Station (Formally 03539 Aft Marina Stn Rd) along Central Blvd towards Shenton Way Terminal.
- 2015 (14 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.