SBS Transit Bus Service 139 is a trunk route running between Toa Payoh Int and Bukit Merah Int, passing through St. Michael’s Estate, Jalan Besar / Serangoon Road, Dhoby Ghaut, River Valley, Alexandra and Lengkok Bahru. A route variant (Service 139M) is also operated.
|Route||Toa Payoh Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||St. Michael’s Estate, Jalan Besar / Serangoon Road, Dhoby Ghaut, River Valley, Alexandra, Lengkok Bahru|
|Route Length||17.9km (D1) | 17.0km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Braddell Bus Park (BRBP)|
|Current Fleet||Volvo B10TL
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 0000 (Weekdays)
0540 – 0000 (Saturdays, Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 0000 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 07 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 11 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 13 mins
After 1930: 12 – 17 mins
|0630-0830: 09 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 11 – 14 mins
After 1930: 12 – 17 mins
Service 139 is a trunk route connecting the residential areas of Toa Payoh, St. Michael’s, Boon Keng and Bukit Merah with connections to the city areas of River Valley, Dhoby Ghaut, Little India and Farrer Park. Offering various unique route connections, demand is largely moderate throughout the day.
The route receives considerable demand between Whampoa and Toa Payoh, as residents of St. Michael’s commute to nearby Toa Payoh Town Centre. The sector has been suppemented with a Service 139M from 14 Sep 2014.
- Service 139M: Toa Payoh Bus Interchange ↺ Jalan Bahagia (Loop)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 139′s fleet operates a majority of Scania K230UB buses with additional Volvo B10TL double-deck buses. Double-deckers were first added to the fleet in 2011.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971: Introduced between Toa Payoh and Lengkok Bahru (Loop), operated by United Bus Company
- 1979: Amended to Jalan Bukit Merah
- 1980: Amended to Bukit Merah Interchange
- 1983: Amended to Toa Payoh Int
- 1993: Amended to ply River Valley Rd
- 1997: Amended into St. Michael’s Estate
- 1998 (31 May): Amended to Toa Payoh Temp Int
- 2003 (21 Jun): Amended to ply Boon Keng Rd and Bendemeer Rd, under Phase 1 of NEL Rationalisation
- 2011 (16 Oct): Amended to serve Prinsep Street with the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for the construction of the Downtown Line
- 2012 (27 Aug): Introduction of shortworking trip 139A during PM Peak hours.
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (03 Dec): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (14 Sep): Route variant Service 139M introduced
- Refer to this article
- 2003: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles