SBS Transit Bus Service 147 is a trunk service plying between Hougang Central Int and Clementi Int, passing through Hougang Avenue 8, Yio Chu Kang Road, Serangoon MRT, Little India, Bras Basah, Chinatown, Bukit Merah and Commonwealth Avenue West.
|Route||Hougang Central Bus Interchange ↔ Clementi Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Hougang Ave 8, Yio Chu Kang Rd, Serangoon MRT, Potong Pasir, Little India, Bras Basah, Clarke Quay, Outram Park, Bukit Merah, Queensway, C’wealth Ave West|
|Route Length||28.1km (D1) | 27.4km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Hougang Bus Depot (HGDEP)
Bukit Batok Bus Depot (BBDEP)
|Current Fleet||Volvo B9TL
Volvo B10M Mark IV
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 12 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 18 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 14 mins
After 1930: 09 – 12 mins
|0630-0830: 07 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: 09 – 13 mins
Service 147 is an trunk route serving many residential areas along its route such as Clementi, Commonwealth, Bukit Merah, Serangoon and Hougang. Running from West to Northeast of Singapore, the route cuts through the City, also serving Chinatown, Bras Basah and Little India. It also duplicates the North East Line from Outram Park to Serangoon and Hougang.
This service was slated to be amended during the North-East Line Bus Rationalization of 2003 which intended to delete unnecessary sectors of various bus routes to avoid duplication with the new North-East MRT Line (NEL). However, it was later spared from rationalization along with Service 133. Currently, long segments of route which duplicate the NEL still receives generous passenger numbers.
- Jalan Bukit Merah (Opp Blk 120) → Clementi Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs, 0627hrs, 0542hrs, 0639hrs
- Jalan Bukit Merah (Opp OG Fty) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0559hrs
- Serangoon Road (Kwong Wai Shiu Hosp) → Hougang Central Int
Weekdays: 0550hrs, 0601hrs, 0612hrs
Saturdays: 0550hrs, 0600hrs, 0610hrs, 0620hrs
Sundays/PHs: 0605hrs, 0620hrs, 0635hrs
- Service 147A: Hougang Ctrl Int → New Bridge Rd (opp Pearl’s Ctr)
Weekdays AM Peak only
Service 147A helps to relieve morning peak demand between Hougang and Serangoon to Little India and Chinatown.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 147′s fleet comprises a majority of Volvo B9TL CDGE and Wright buses, with smaller numbers of Volvo Olympian, Scania K230UB and Volvo B10M MkIV buses. Additional Volvo B9TL buses were added under the BSEP scheme.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1971 – 1973: Associated Bus Services Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Lor 6 Toa Payoh and Commonwealth Ave/North Buona Vista Rd, operated by Associated Bus Services. On 02 Aug, amended to Toa Payoh Town Centre.
- 1981: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1983 (26 Dec): Amended to loop at Potong Pasir Ave 1
- 1984 (01 Jul): Amended to Potong Pasir Ter
- 1985 (05 May): Amended to Potong Pasir Ave 2 & 3 before terminating at Potong Pasir Ter
- 1985 (30 Jun): Extended to Jurong East Int
- 1992 (29 Mar): Merged with service 83 and extended to Upp Serangoon Ter. At the same time, amended to Serangoon Rd / Jln Besar instead of Bugis and Lavender
- 1992 (29 Nov): Alternate trips terminated at Clementi MRT Station
- 1993 (05 Dec): Shortened to Clementi interchange with the extension of service 105. Alternate trips withdrawn.
- 1994 (17 Dec): Amended to Hougang Central Int
- 1999: Amended to ply Prinsep Street
- 2006 (29 Oct): Amended to Clementi Temp Int
- 2006 (30 Oct): Designated as a wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB), the second WAB service in Singapore.
- 2011 (16 Oct): With the closure of a section along Bencoolen St for the construction of the Downtown Line, this service was amended to serve Middle Rd & Bencoolen St
- 2011 (26 Nov): Amended to air-conditioned Clementi Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- Refer to this article
- 1994: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1994.