View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SBS Transit Bus Service 162/M is a trunk service plying between Yio Chu Kang Int and Shenton Way Ter, passing through Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Sin Ming, Thomson, Newton, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut, City Hall, Fullerton Road and Shenton Way. Its route variant Service 162M, loops at Suntec City, and operates during weekday nights, Saturday afternoons and Sundays.
^ SBST Scania K230UB (SBS8545T) – Service 162
^ SBST Scania K230UB (SBS8609T) – Service 162M
|Service||SBS Transit Service 162||SBS Transit Service 162M|
|Route||Yio Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ Shenton Way Bus Terminal||Yio Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↺ Temasek Avenue (Loop)
|Passes Through||Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Sin Ming, Thomson, Newton, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut, City Hall, Fullerton Rd, Shenton Way||Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Sin Ming, Thomson, Newton, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut, City Hall, Bras Basah, Suntec City|
|Route Length||21.0km (D1) | 21.8km (D2)||39.0km|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Scania K230UB
Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
|Departure Times from Yio Chu Kang||Weekdays: 0530 – 1800
Saturdays: 0600 – 1300
|From Yio Chu Kang only:
Weekdays: 1816 – 2330
Saturdays: 1315 – 2330
Sunday/PHs: 0600 – 2330
|Departure Times from Shenton Way||Weekdays: 0630 – 1930
Saturdays: 0630 – 1420
|Frequency||Direction 1||Loop Service|
|0630-0830: 10 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: –
|0630-0830: 11 – 14 mins
0831-1659: 12 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 14 – 15 mins
After 1930: 13 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 14 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 18 mins
After 1930: 10 – 10 mins
Service 162 connects residential towns of Ang Mo Kio, Bishan and Thomson to the Central districts of Orchard Road, Bras Basah and Shenton Way. During selected times, Service 162M will operate, skipping Shenton Way and looping at Suntec City.
Service 162M will be affected by the Orchard Road Pedestrian Night bus diversions on the first Saturday night of every month from Oct 2014 – Mar 2015.
- Thomson Rd (MacRitchie Reservoir) → Yio Chu Kang Int
Weekdays (sv162): 0600hrs, 0610hrs, 0620hrs, 0629hrs, 0638hrs, 0647hrs, 0657hrs
Saturdays (sv162): 0600hrs, 0614hrs, 0628hrs, 0641hrs, 0654hrs
Sundays/PHs (sv162M): 0600hrs, 0614hrs, 0628hrs, 0642hrs, 0656hrs, 0709hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 162′s fleet comprises Scania K230UB and Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. Additional Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses were added under the BSEP scheme.
|SBST Service 162|
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
|SBS Transit Service 162M – Loop Service|
- 2001 (Feb – Nov): Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 (Nov) – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2001 (25 Feb): Introduced by SBS between Yio Chu Kang Terminal and Shenton Way (Loop), operating on Weekdays & Saturdays (in the day). Route variant Service 162# also introduced to loop at Suntec City during weeknights, Saturday evenings, Sundays and Public Holidays (whole day).
- 2001 (16 Dec): Amended to terminate at Shenton Way Terminal. Operation hours of Service 162# brought forward to after 1pm on Saturdays. Also began calling at previously skipped stops along Bishan Rd, Upp Thomson Rd and Newton Rd.
- 2008 (28 Jan): Service 162# was directly renumbered to Service 162M with no route changes.
- 2011 (07 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- Refer to this article
- 2001: No significant route changes since 2001.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide (Service 162)
- TransitLink E-Guide (Service 162M)
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles