SMRT Bus Service 169 is a trunk route linking Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio via Yishun, passing through Woodlands Ave 9, Admiralty Road West, Yishun, Sembawang Road, Upper Thomson and Ang Mo Kio.
|Route||Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange ↔ Ang Mo Kio Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Admiralty Rd West, Yishun, Sembawang Rd, Upper Thomson|
|Route Length||23.9km (D1) | 23.0km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
18-metre Articulated Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 03 – 07 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: 10 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 07 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 09 mins
After 1930: 08 – 16 mins
Service 169 is both a residential and an industrial route, serving the housing estates of Woodlands, Yishun and Ang Mo Kio (and the private estates of Upper Thomson) with connections to Woodlands Regional, Yishun and Ang Mo Kio Town Centres. The route also serves Woodlands Industrial Park and various industries along Senoko and Admiralty Road West, providing connections to Woodlands and Yishun.
As an inter-town route, demand is moderate throughout the day. Peak hour demand is very high due to workers commuting to and from the industrial areas. The route operates a relatively large split-shift fleet along with the deployment of Shortworking Trip 169A to cater for high passenger loading. Students of Republic Polytechnic (RP) also rely on the route to and from Woodlands Regional Interchange.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses buses are deployed due to high demand during peak periods. SMRT’s Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses appeared on the route since Oct 2014.
- Service 169A: Woodlands Regional Interchange → Yishun Avenue 2 (Aft NorthPoint Shop Ctr)
Weekdays AM Peak only
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 169′s fleet comprises Mercedes-Benz O405G, MAN NL323F and Alexander Dennis Enviro500 buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1976 – 1983: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1983 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1976 (23 Aug): Introduced between Admiralty Dr and Sembawang Rd (Dieppe Barracks)
- 1977 (31 Jan): Extended to Ang Mo Kio (Ave 3)
- 1981 (05 Jul): Amended to Ang Mo Kio Ter at Ctrl 2
- 1981 (29 Nov): Amended to Woodlands Int, plying Admiralty Rd instead of Marsiling Dr and Admiralty Rd West
- 1983 (10 Apr): Amended to Ang Mo Kio Int
- 1983 (05 Jun): Handed over to TIBS.
- 1996 (04 Feb): Amended to terminate at Woodlands Regional Interchange via Woodlands Ave 8, Ave 9 and Ave 2.
- 1996 (10 Mar): Amended to serve Yishun New Town via Yishun Ave 3 and Ave 2, and amended to ply Admiralty Rd East and Sembawang Rd instead of Canberra Rd, merging with Service 857.
- 2013: Service improvement under the BSEP scheme
- 2014 (01 Oct): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses introduced.
- 2015 (11 Oct): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1996: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1996.