SMRT Bus Service 171 is a trunk route linking Yishun and Marina Centre, passing through Mandai Road, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Scotts Road, Orchard, Dhoby Ghaut and Suntec City. It shares the Yishun – Marina Centre connection with Service 857, but plies a much longer route to serve more areas.
|Route||Yishun Temporary Interchange ↔ Marina Centre Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Mandai Rd, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upp Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Orchard, Bras Basah|
|Route Length||34.1km (D1) | 34.4km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 09 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 13 – 15 mins
After 1930: 11 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 10 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 10 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 14 mins
After 1930: 13 – 15 mins
Service 171 is an inter-town route serving between the areas of Yishun, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Timah, Newton, Orchard Road, Bras Basah and Marina Centre. It is a key inter-town connection between the towns of Yishun and Bukit Panjang, via BKE and Mandai Road, with no other bus routes offering a faster route. It is also well-patronized between the Orchard area and Bukit Timah with few duplicating routes, one of which is 174.
In addition, the service provides bus connections to many institutions along the Dunearn Road / Bukit Timah Road academic belt. A large portion of its route runs parallel to Service 67 and 170 (between Newton and Bukit Panjang), as well as the Downtown Line Stage 2. Demand is moderate throughout the day but high during peak hours (especially between Bukit Timah and the City.) and during school dismissal hours. High capacity bendy buses are deployed occasionally, especially during special occasions such as route diversions and festive seasons.
This service plies a short express sector on the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE), between Mandai Road and Bukit Panjang Road. Despite sharing the Yishun – Marina Centre connection with Service 857, it plies a much longer route, serving Bukit Panjang and (almost) the full stretch of Upper Bukit Timah & Bukit Timah Road.
No boarding and alighting is allowed at Marina Centre Terminal. The last stop for Marina Centre bound buses is at Raffles Boulevard (02089 Pan Pacific Hotel), and the first stop for Yishun bound buses is at Raffles Avenue (02101 Bef Temasek Ave).
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. Double-decker buses are not yet deployed as the service is not certified double-decker accessible yet.
Premature Double Decker Deployment
On 24 August 2015, SMB5059J (Alexander Dennis Enviro500) performed Service 171 in the evening as part of a crossover slot (969S151). On its maiden trip from Yishun to Marina Centre, the bus was withdrawn from revenue service at Bukit Panjang by the Operations Control Centre (OCC), which was likely due to the route not being officially certified as ready for double-decker deployment.
DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements
As part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements, Service 171 towards Marina Centre will call at a new bus stop, Bt Panjang Rd – Blk 184 instead of Bukit Panjang Rd – Blk 183 from 27 December 2015. Yishun bound Service 171 will still call at Bt Panjang Rd – Blk 604.
- Jelebu Road (Bt Panjang Plaza) → Yishun Int
Weekdays: 0615hrs to 0645hrs
Saturdays: 0620hrs to 0635hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 171′s fleet comprises Mercedes-Benz OC500LE and MAN NL323F buses. This service performs crossover trips to NightRider NR7 during its operating days.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 171 plying Mandai Rd (Near Sembawang Rd) – Queens St Ter
- ???: Amended to Sembawang Rd (near Nee Soon Camp), ??? Amended to serve Mandai Lake Rd, ??? Amended to ply Orchard Rd
- 1987 (18 Jan): Amended to Yishun Ctrl
- 1987 (23 Aug): Amended to Yishun Int
- ???: Amended to Marina Centre Ter
- 1993 (03 Jan): Amended into Bt Panjang town
- 1994 (26 Apr): Amended to skip Mandai Lake Rd in both directions with the introduction of service 138.
- 1995 (05 Nov): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to ply BKE instead of Woodlands Rd and Mandai Rd with the amendment of service 927.
- 2006 (29 Oct): Serves Orchard Stn bus stop along Orchard Turn instead of Orchard Blvd
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (14 Mar): Amended to Yishun Temp Int
- 2015 (Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for trial till Aug 2016
- 2015 (24 Aug): Premature Double-Decker bus debut, bus recalled after half trip.
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Blk 184 instead of Blk 183 along Bt Panjang Rd towards Marina Centre as part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements
- Refer to this article
- 1999: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1999.
External Links & References: