SMRT Bus Service 172 is a trunk route linking Choa Chu Kang Interchange and Boon Lay Interchange, passing through Choa Chu Kang Ave 1, Brickland Road, Old Choa Chu Kang Road, Jalan Bahar and Jalan Boon Lay.
^ SMRT Alexander Dennis Enviro500 (SMB5056S) – Service 172
|Route||Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ Boon Lay Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||CCK Ave 1, Brickland Road, Old CCK Road, Jln Bahar, Jln Boon Lay|
|Route Length||14.3km (D1) | 14.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||40 – 45 mins|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Bulim Bus Depot (BUDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
18-metre Articulated Bus
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– DAF SB220
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sunday/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 08 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 08 mins
After 1930: 08 – 14 mins
|0630-0830: 06 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 05 – 08 mins
After 1930: 07 – 14 mins
Service 172 is an inter-town route providing bus connections between Choa Chu Kang and Boon Lay towns, its direct routing being faster than the MRT. The route travels through suburban areas along along Jalan Bahar and Old Chua Chu Kang Road, whle also linking residents of Choa Chu Kang Avenue 1 to Choa Chu Kang Int/MRT.
Due to demand from various defence institutions along Jln Bahar, Old Choa Chu Kang and increased inter-town passenger demand between Choa Chu Kang & Boon Lay during peak hours, this service operates a relatively large number of split-shift buses, including the addition of high capacity articulated and double deck buses. Double deck buses made their appearance from 14th July 2015 onwards.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1996 and has been operated by SMRT ever since.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 172′s fleet comprises DAF SB220, Mercedes-Benz OC500LE, Mercedes-Benz O405G and Alexander Dennis Enviro500 buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 1996: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1996 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 172, between Lim Chu Kang Rd (End) and Prince Edward
- 1987 (28 Jun): Amended to Shenton Way Ter
- 1993 (03 Jan): Shortened to loop at Jln Anak Bt and amended to Boon Lay Int due to MRT rationalisation
- 1993 (18 Jul): Amended to ply Sungei Tengah Rd, Brickland Rd and Choa Chu Kang Ave 3, serving the new town of Choa Chu Kang.
- 1999 (26 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS) and shortened to Choa Chu Kang Int.
- 2006 (18 Jun): Amended to Boon Lay Temp Int
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2009 (27 Dec): Amended to Boon Lay Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2011 (23 Oct): Skips 2 bus stops along Old Choa Chu Kang Road which was removed due to road widening works
- 2015 (14 Jul): Start of Double-decker bus deployments
- Refer to this article
- 1999: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1999.
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles