SMRT Bus Service 173 is a trunk route between Bukit Batok Interchange and looping at Clementi Interchange, passing through Bukit Batok Street 21, Hillview, Hume Avenue, Upper Bukit Timah, Lorong Kismis, Toh Tuck and Clementi.
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||BBT St 21, Hillview, Hume Ave, Upp Bukit Timah, Lor Kismis, Toh Tuck, Clementi|
|Travelling Time||80 – 85 mins|
|GCM Route Package
||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
2345 – 0100 (Daily | Service 173A*, terminates at Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254))
|Departure Times from Clementi Int||0550 – 0009 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 0009 (Sundays/PHs)
|0630-0830: 10 – 13 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 17 mins
After 1930: 13 – 25 mins
|Notes||Service 173A operates from Bukit Batok Interchange to Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254) daily.|
Service 173 is a residential trunk route connecting the housing estates of Bukit Batok and Clementi, and the private estates of Hillview, Hume, Upper Bukit Timah, Toh Tuck and Lorong Kismis to Bukit Batok and Clementi Town Centres. Much of its route serves residents of private estates and condominiums along its route, and it is the only SMRT bus service at Clementi Bus Interchange.
As the route covers low-density estates, demand is relatively low during most parts of day, but particularly high during the peak hours. Between Bukit Batok and Clementi, Service 106 offers a faster journey as compared to this route.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand and the many narrow roads within private estates which the route serves.
A shortworking trip, Service 173A, will operate after the last bus has departed Bukit Batok Interchange to connect residents to the housing estates at late hours. During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 173A will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
To increase connectivity to the Downtown Line Stage 2, from 27 December 2015, Service 173 towards Clementi will skip Jalan Anak Bukit via a new bus only right turn lane junction at Upp Bukit Timah Rd, to continue southbound on Upp Bukit Timah Rd before turning right to Jalan Jurong Kechil. It will call at a new bus stop, Upp Bukit Timah Rd (42099 Beauty World Stn) while skipping 3 bus stops along Jalan Anak Bukit and Upp Bukit Timah Rd (Northbound).
As such, Service 173 towards Clementi and also Bukit Batok will call at Beauty World MRT Station twice; once along Jalan Jurong Kechil and once along Upp Bukit Timah Rd. There are no route changes for Service 173 towards Bukit Batok.
- Upp Bukit Timah Rd (Beauty World Stn) → Clementi Int
Weekdays: 0530hrs, 0540hrs
- Clementi Int → Bukit Batok Int
Sundays/PHs: 0600hrs, 0613hrs, 0626hrs
- Service 173A: Bukit Batok Interchange → Bukit Batok East Avenue 4 (Blk 254)
2345hrs, 0000hrs, 0020hrs, 0040hrs, 0100hrs (Daily)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: See Above
|Loop Service (via Clementi Int)|
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced as Service 173 between Princess Elizabeth Estate and New Bridge Road/Neil Road, operated by United Bus Company
- 1987 (06 Jun): Amended to New Bridge Road Ter
- 1990 (10 Mar): Re-routed to Bt Batok Int – Jln Anak Bukit (Loop), via Bt Batok Central and Bt Batok St 21 instead of Bt Batok East Ave 3.
- 1992 (03 May): Extended to loop at Clementi Int
- 2000 (24 Dec): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2006 (16 Jul): Amended to ply along Bt Batok Ctrl, Bt Batok Ave 1 & Bt Batok East Ave 6 before entering Bt Batok St 21 and at the same time, amended to Hume Ave instead of Hillview Rd & Upp Bt Timah Rd.
- 2006 (29 Oct): Amended to Clementi Temp Int
- 2011 (26 Nov): Amended to Clementi Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013 (21 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (27 Dec): Amended to skip Jalan Anak Bukit towards Clementi to connect with Beauty World Station
- Refer to this article
- 2015: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2015.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles