View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SBS Transit Bus Service 174 is a trunk service plying between Boon Lay Interchange and New Bridge Road Terminal, passing through Jurong Road, Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah, Farrer, Tanglin, Orchard Road, Clarke Quay and Chin Swee. It has a Fast Forward route variant, Service 174e.
^ SBS Transit Volvo B9TL Wright (SBS3755L) – Service 174, with advert wrap for EXSA2015 winners
|Route||Boon Lay Bus Interchange ↔ New Bridge Road Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Jurong Rd, Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah, Farrer, Tanglin, Dhoby Ghaut, Clarke Quay, Chin Swee Rd|
|Route Length||28.1km (D1) | 27.7km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Soon Lee Bus Park (SLBP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from T1||0520 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 09 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 14 – 18 mins
After 1930: 14 – 18 mins
|0630-0830: 14 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 18 mins
After 1930: 14 – 18 mins
Service 174 is a trunk route spanning from West to the City, connecting the residential estates of Jurong West and Bukit Batok with Bukit Timah, and the City areas of Tanglin, Orchard, Clarke Quay and Outram. The service provides bus connections to many institutions along the Bukit Timah Road academic belt, as well as providing a quick inter-town link between Bukit Batok and Boon Lay via Jurong Road. The service does not ply the Pan-Island Expressway instead of Jurong Road so as to provide bus connections for dormitories along Jurong Road.
As an inter-town and City route, demand is average to high during offpeak hours, and very high during peak hours. The route is well utilized along the Bukit Timah stretch and a popular alternative to the MRT network from West to City. A fast-forward variant, 174e, is also operated for faster travel between West and City during peak hours.
No boarding is allowed from New Bridge Road Ter. The first stop for Boon lay bound buses is along Eu Tong Sen St (10017 Aft Hosp Dr).
- Dunearn Road (Opp Coronation Plaza) → New Bridge Road Ter
Weekdays: 0546hrs, 0600hrs
- Farrer Road (Farrer Rd Mkt) → Boon Lay Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0600hrs
- SBS Transit Service 174e (Boon Lay – New Bridge Road)
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 174′s fleet comprises a mix of Volvo B9TL Wrights, Volvo Olympians, Scania K230UBs and Mercedes-Benz Citaros.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1971 – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Introduced between Nanyang University and New Bridge Rd/Neil Rd, operated by United Bus Company
- 1987 (06 Jun): Amended to New Bridge Rd Ter
- 1991 (07 Apr): Amended to Boon Lay Int
- 1993: Amended to ply PIE (now Jurong West Ave 2), skipping Jurong Rd (between Corporation Rd and Hong Kah flyover).
- 2003 (07 Dec): Amended to ply Upp Cross St/Havelock Rd, Chin Swee Rd and Outram Rd, skipping Eu Tong Sen St and New Bridge Rd
- 2005 (02 Jul): Amended to Grange Rd with the closure of a section of Somerset Rd
- 2006 (18 Jun): Amended to Boon Lay Temp Int
- 2008 (14 Jul): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2009 (27 Dec): Amended to Boon Lay Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2015 (28 Sep): Route variant Fast Forward 174e designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 2003: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2003.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles