View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT Bus Service 176 is a trunk route linking Bukit Panjang Interchange and Bukit Merah Interchange, passing through Upper Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East Central, West Coast Highway and Henderson.
^ SMRT Alexander Dennis Enviro500 (SMB5021S) – Service 176
|Route||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Upp Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East Ctrl, West Coast Highway, Henderson|
|Route Length||23.5km (D1) | 22.6km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||75 – 80 mins|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
18-metre Articulated Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz O405G
– MAN NG363F
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0545 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 14 mins
After 1930: 11 – 15 mins
|0630-0830: 06 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 06 – 13 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 09 mins
After 1930: 07 – 15 mins
Service 176 is an inter-town route connecting the housing estates of Bukit Panjang, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Bukit Merah. Part of its route travels along West Coast Highway for quick journeys between Pasir Panjang and Jurong East. Its sector between Telok Blangah MRT and Bukit Merah benefits residents at Telok Blangh and Bukit Merah Central with convenient access to Telok Blangah MRT Station along the CIrcle Line. Along with Service 175, this service serves the industries along West Coast Highway and Pasir Panjang Road.
Running with moderate to low demand during off-peak hours, the service encounters high demand during peak hours from increased commute to and from industries around West Coast and Pasir Panjang, as well as increased inter-town commute. High capacity double-deck buses buses are deployed on a regular basis; SMRT’s Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses appeared on the route since Nov 2014.
Due to route amendments for the Bukit Panjang Temp Bus Park, the first stop of this route is Jelebu Rd (Opp Blk 180), while the last stop is Jebulu Rd (Blk 180). No boarding and alighting is allowed at Bukit Panjang Temp Bus Park.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since 1988, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated buses are deployed regularly.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: See above. This service performs crossover trips to Premium 590.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1988 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
|SMB388S on Service 176||^ SMRT Mercedes-Benz OC500LE (SMB116K) – Service 176|
- 1988 (24 Jan): Introduced by SBS between Jurong East Int and Bukit Panjang (Loop)
- 1989 (05 Mar): Amended to serve Upper Bt Timah Rd and Bt Batok West Ave 6.
- 1990 (01 Jul): Extended from Jurong East to Bt Merah, covering lost sectors of withdrawn Service 184
- 1995 (01 Oct): Handed to TIBS. Amended to ply Bt Batok East Ave 2 instead of Bt Batok East Ave 4 on same day.
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to Bt Panjang Int
- 2012 (16 Dec): Route amended to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub.
- 2014 (03 Feb): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (17 Nov): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2015 (22 Mar): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Hillview Station along Upp Bt Timah Rd
- Refer to this article
- 1995: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1995.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles