Tower Transit has taken over operations of this Bus Service since 29 May 2016.
View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru here!
SMRT Bus Service 177 is a peak-hour trunk route from Bukit Batok and looping at Bukit Panjang, passing through Hillview, MINDEF and Upper Bukit Timah.
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Jelebu Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Hillview, MINDEF, Upper Bukit Timah|
|Travelling Time||45 – 50 mins|
|GCM Route Package
||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0613 – 0838, 1638 – 1829 (Weekdays)|
|0630-0830: 13 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 12 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 14 – 15 mins
After 1930: —
Service 177 is a peak-hour inter-town route connecting Bukit Batok, Hillview and Bukit Panjang, as well as providing bus connections to Ministry of Defence Headquarters (MINDEF HQ @ Gombak Drive) and its surrounding army camps. Formerly a full-day service, it now only operates during weekday peak hours with moderate demand.
In 2012, this route was converted from bidirectional operation to unidirectional operation, looping at Jelebu Road when the former Bukit Panjang Interchange was demolished to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since 1989, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1995 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
- Bukit Panjang Road (Blk 604) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays: 0613hrs – 0636hrs
- Service 177A: Bukit Batok Interchange → Jelebu Road (Bt Panjang Plaza)
0828 – 0840, 1806 (Weekdays)
Service 177A operates as a half trip of Service 177, ending at Bukit Panjang. Buses that operate on 177A are usually taken out of service after finishing their runs.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 177′s fleet fully comprises of MAN NL323F buses operating on split-shift. They will perform crossover trips on Service 925 after Service 177’s operating hours.
|Loop Service (via Jebulu Rd)|
- 1989 – 1995: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1995 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1989 (26 Apr): Introduced between Bukit Batok MINDEF Complex and Hillview Road (Loop)
- 1990 (10 Mar): Re-routed to Bt Batok Int – Bt Panjang Ter via MINDEF
- 1995 (02 Jul): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1999 (26 Dec): Amended to terminate at Bt Panjang Int
- 2004 (25 Sep): No longer operates on Saturdays.
- 2012 (01 Jul): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (16 Dec): Amended to loop at Jelebu Road when Bt Panjang Int was demolished to make way for the new Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub. Shortworking trip 177A introduced.
- Refer to this article
- 2012: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2012.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles