SMRT Bus Service 178 is a trunk route between Woodlands Regional Interchange and Boon lay Interchange, passing through Marsiling, Woodlands Centre, Woodlands Road, Upper Bukit Timah, Bukit Batok, Jurong Town Hall, AYE and Corporation Road.
^ SMRT MAN NL323F (SMB1382B) – Service 178
|Route||Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange ↔ Boon Lay Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marsiling, Woodlands Ctr, Woodlands Rd, Upp Bukit Timah, Bukit Batok Ctrl, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Corporation Rd|
|Route Length||29.6km (D1) | 29.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||85 – 90 mins|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 15 – 17 mins
0831-1659: 13 – 18 mins
1700-1930: 18 – 19 mins
After 1930: 17 – 19 mins
|0630-0830: 14 – 17 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 15 – 18 mins
After 1930: 16 – 19 mins
Service 178 is a supplementary inter-town route serving between the housing estates of Woodlands, Bukit Panjang, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Boon Lay. Much of its route plies through industrial areas (such as those around Woodlands Road, Corporation Road and International Business Park), hence demand is strongly skewed towards peak hours. It shares the Woodlands – Boon Lay termini with Service 187, while plying a longer route.
This route experiences very low off-peak demand and operates at borderline QoS standards. Its low frequency is attributed to the presence of multiple duplicating routes and little demand from industrial estate portions. It is believed that this route is highly unprofitable and SMRT’s requests to convert it to a peak-hour route was turned down by the PTC. Despite this, it encounters considerable demand between Woodlands Int and Kranji MRT during weekday morning peak hours due to industries at Marsiling Industrial Estate and Woodlands Road, and shortworking trip 178A was introduced to cope with the additional demand.
During periods of heavy congestion around Woodlands Checkpoint, buses may be diverted to skip parts of Woodlands Road and Woodlands Centre, going via Woodlands Avenue 3 instead.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
- Woodlands Ctr Rd (Woodlands Train Checkpt) → Woodlands Int
Sundays & PHs: 5:35am, 5:52am, 6:09am, 6:26am, 6:43am
SMRT Mercedes-Benz O405 (TIB494R) – Service 178AShortworking Trips:
- Service 178A: Woodlands Int → Woodlands Road (Kranji Stn)
Weekdays AM Peak hours: 5:36am, 5:50am, 6:14am, 6:28am, 6:53am, 7:06am, 7:54am, 8:37am
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 178′s fleet comprises MAN NL323F buses. Additional MAN NL323F buses were added under the BSEP scheme.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1974 – 1983: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 1983 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
SMRT Mercedes-Benz O405 (TIB438D) – Service 178————————————————————————————————————————————
- 1974 (03 Feb): Introduced between Corporation Drive and Upper Bukit Timah Road
- 1975 (21 Jul): Amended to Boon Lay Gardens
- 1978 (01 Jun): Extended to Jurong Int
- 1981 (29 Nov): Extended to Woodlands Int
- 1983 (10 Jul): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 1990 (01 Jul): Shortened to Boon Lay Int with closure of Jurong Int, and amended to serve Bukit Batok
- 1996 (04 Feb): Extended to Woodlands Regional Int, covering parts Feeder service 372 (now service 903).
- 2006 (19 Jun): Amended to Boon Lay Temp Int
- 2009 (27 Dec): Amended to Boon Lay Integrated Transport Hub (ITH)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (15 Jul): Shortworking trip 178A introduced
- 2013 (29 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1996: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1996.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles