SMRT Bus Service 189 is a trunk route from Bukit Batok Interchange and looping at Clementi Avenue 1, passing through Bukit Batok Avenue 1, Street 23, AYE, Clementi Avenue 6 and Clementi MRT.
^ SMRT MAN NL323F (SMB3003H) – Service 189
|Route||Bukit Batok Bus Interchange ↺ Clementi Avenue 1 (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Bukit Batok Ave 1, St 23, AYE, Clementi Ave 6, Clementi MRT|
|Travelling Time||70 – 75mins|
|GCM Route Package
||Bulim Bus Package|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||Daily:
0545 – 2315 (Full loop)
2320 – 0100 (Service 189A | Terminates at Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Bldg))
|0630-0830: 04 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 04 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 11 mins
After 1930: 10 – 20 mins
|Notes||* From 2330 to 0050 daily, buses leaving Bukit Batok Int will operate as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23 (Opp Midview Building)|
Service 189 is a inter-town route serving between Bukit Batok and looping at Clementi, via Bukit Batok Neighbourhood 2, Bukit Batok Street 23, Clementi Avenue 6, Clementi MRT and Clementi Avenue 1.
The route is well patronized between the industrial areas around Bukit Batok Street 23 and Bukit Batok MRT, with Shortworking trip 189A performing supplementary trips during Weekdays AM Peak, and scheduled mid-route departures (“downroutes”) in the reverse direction during Weekdays PM Peak. The sector between Clementi MRT and Clementi Ave 1 receives moderate demand due to the area’s presently limited residential developments, but encounters high demand from students heading to the educational institutions along Clementi Avenue 1.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s, the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 2000 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated buses are deployed during weekday peak hours, and double-deck buses were deployed since 26 October 2015.
In 2014, Service 189 was involved in a small scale bus loading trial where buses were equipped with electronic displays beside the front door, which indicates when the next bus will arrive and the passenger loading onboard that bus.
2014 Route Amendment:
From 23 November 2014, Service 189 will be amended to loop at Clementi Avenue 1, skipping existing stops along Clementi Avenue 2, West Coast Road and Kent Ridge Terminal. Deleted sectors will be covered by the new Service 201, operated by SBS Transit and introduced (on the same day) under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP).
The new sector along Clementi Avenue 1 will serve NUS High School, Nan Hua High School and nearby residential apartments with connections to Clementi Town Centre. Two new bus stops will be built along the road, which was previously not served by any public bus service.
Last bus departing Bukit Batok Interchange was also extended to 11:15pm daily.
- Bukit Batok St 23 (Midview Building) → Bukit Batok Int
Weekdays PM Peak
- Service 189A: Bukit Batok Int → Bukit Batok St 23 (Opp Midview Building)
Weekdays AM Peak (0706 – 0900)
Daily (2320 – 0100)
From 2320 daily, buses will be renamed as 189A and terminate at Bukit Batok Street 23, Opp Midview Building.
During Eves of Public Holidays, last bus timings of Service 189 (operating as Service 189A) will be extended to complement the extension of train operating hours.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: See Above
|Loop Service (via Clementi Ave 1)|
- 1971 – 1973: Amalgamated Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed under Tower Transit Ltd in 2016.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Introduced by SBS, plying between Commonwealth Ave/North Buona Vista Rd and South Canal
- 1979 (15 Jan): Amended to loop at Empress Place
- 1981: Amended to Buona Vista Ter
- 1985: Amended to start from Bukit Batok and terminate at Marina Centre Ter
- 1987: No longer plies Beach Rd in the direction of Bukit Batok
- 1990: Shortened to loop at Clementi West Street 2
- 1995: Extended to loop at West Coast Ferry Terminal.
- 1996: Amended to ply PIE and Clementi Ave 6, skipping Toh Tuck Ave
- 2000 (18 Jun): Handed to Trans-Island Bus Services (TIBS)
- 2001 (15 Apr): Shortened to loop at Kent Ridge Terminal. Service 189A introduced between Bt Batok Int and West Coast Ferry Ter (Loop), operating at selected timings.
- 2003: Service 189A withdrawn
- 2009 (01 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2014 (23 Jun): Bus Service Reliability Framework (BSRF) implemented for a two-year trial
- 2014 (23 Nov): Shortened to loop at Clementi Ave 1 via AYE and Clementi Rd Lost sectors along West Coast Rd replaced by Service 201.
- 2015 (05 Jun): BSRF trial extended to Aug 2016
- 2015 (26 Oct): Start of Alexander Dennis Enviro500 Double-Decker Bus Deployments. Full fleet redeployment for GCM Bulim Package handover to Tower Transit.
- Refer to this article
- 1993: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1993.
External Links & References: