SBS Transit Bus Service 198 is a trunk route running between Boon Lay Int and Bukit Merah Int, passing through Jurong West/East Ave 1, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Commonwealth and Queensway.
|Route||Boon Lay Bus Interchange ↔ Bukit Merah Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Jurong West/East Ave 1, Jurong Town Hall, AYE, Commonwealth, Queensway|
|Route Length||19.8km (D1) | 18.8km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SBS Transit|
|Current Depot||Soon Lee Bus Park (SLBP)
Ayer Rajah Bus Park (ARBP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Volvo B9TL
– Volvo Olympian
12-metre Single Deck Bus
– Mercedes-Benz O530 Citaro
– Scania K230UB
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0530 – 2345 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 04 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 05 – 14 mins
After 1930: 08 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 05 – 09 mins
0831-1659: 05 – 12 mins
1700-1930: 06 – 10 mins
After 1930: 11 – 15 mins
Service 198 is a residential inter-town route plying between Boon Lay, Jurong East, Commonwealth and Bukit Merah. It is a popular connection between Boon Lay Town Centre and Boon Lay Avenue / Jurong West Avenue 1, a route it partially shares with Service 157.
Serving many housing estates, demand for this route is moderate to high throughout the day.
- Jurong Town Hall Road (German Ctr) → Bukit Merah Int
Saturdays: 0540hrs, 0550hrs
- Jurong East Avenue 1 (Parc Oasis) → Boon Lay Int
- Service 198A: Boon Lay Int → Jurong East Ave 1 (Opp Parc Oasis)
Weekdays PM Peak only
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 198’s fleet comprises a majority of Volvo B9TLs, with smaller numbers of Volvo Olympians and B10M MkIVs.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1970s – 1973: Amalgamated Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2001: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2001 – Present: SBS Transit Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1971 (11 Apr): Original route between Jalan Boon Lay and South Canal Road.
- 1974 (03 Feb): Extended to Jalan Kolam Ayer and Old Jurong Rd
- 1976: Extended to Sims Place
- 1978 (01 Jun): Extended to Jurong Interchange
- 1990 (01 Jul): Amended to Boon Lay Interchange with the closure of Jurong Interchange.
- 1991 (07 Apr): Shortened to start from Jurong East Int
- 1992 (28 Jun): Extended to Boon Lay and shortened to Bukit Merah, covering deleted sectors of Services 64 and 197.
- 2006 (03 Sep): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- Refer to this article
- 1992: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 1992.
External Links & References: