SMRT Bus Service 963 is a trunk route linking Woodlands Interchange and HarbourFront Interchange, passing through Marsiling, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Toh Tuck, AYE, Alexandra and Telok Blangah. It has two route variants, Express 963E and Express 963R.
|Route||Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange ↔ HarbourFront Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Marsiling, BKE, Bukit Panjang, Upper Bukit Timah, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Toh Tuck, AYE, Alexandra, Telok Blangah.|
|Route Length||29.6km (D1) | 29.3km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
– MAN A95
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
– Mercedes-Benz O405
|Departure Times from T1||0550 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0550 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 05 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 16 mins
After 1930: 12 – 17 mins
|0630-0830: 08 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 07 – 10 mins
After 1930: 08 – 16 mins
Service 963 is an inter-town route serving between the residential towns of Woodlands, Bukit Panjang, Hillview, Bukit Batok and Telok Blangah. Its direct nature makes it a fast connection between various points on its route. The route compliments Service 97 between AYE – HarbourFront, and Services 187 and 966 between Bukit Panjang – Woodlands. Demand for the service is moderate during offpeak hours, but receives high demand during the peak hours, and operates a proportionately large split-shift fleet along with high-capacity articulated buses to cope with demand.
Originally introduced Express 521 in September 1999 with brand-new Hino HS3KRKK ‘smiley’ buses, its launch coincided with the extension of the Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) scheme to outer ring roads, in an effort to encourage more commuters to opt for public transport. It charged discounted fares (normal air-con bus fares) during off-peak periods, and express fares during peak periods. Later in 2002, it was extended to Woodlands and downgraded to a regular trunk route, and renumbered as Service 963.
- Bukit Panjang Rd (Blk 223) → HarbourFront Int
Daily: 0545hrs – 0600hrs
- Bukit Batok East Ave 3 (Opp Parkview Apts) → Woodlands Int
Daily: 0600hrs – 0625hrs
- SMRT Express Service 963E
Woodlands Regional Int ⇌ HarbourFront Int
- SMRT Express Service 963R
Woodlands Regional Int ↔ Resorts World Sentosa
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 963′s fleet comprises Alexander Dennis Enviro500 and MAN NL323F buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1999 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1999 (01 Sep): Introduced as Express 521 between Bukit Panjang and World Trade Center (now HarbourFront).
- 2002 (29 Sep): Downgraded to trunk service and renumbered Service 963. Route extended to Woodlands, hence plying Woodlands Int – World Trade Center Ter (now knows as HarbourFront Int)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (15 Sep): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- 2015 (14 Jun): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Hillview Station along Upp Bt Timah Rd
- Refer to this article
- 2002: No significant route changes since 2002.