SMRT Bus Service 966 is a trunk route from Woodlands Regional Interchange and looping at Marine Parade, passing through Marsiling, Bukit Panjang, Whitley, Jalan Toa Payoh, Eunos and Still Road. Incorporating long express sectors, the route serves as an important connection between the housing estates of Bukit Panjang, Toa Payoh, Eunos and Marine Parade.
|Route||Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange ↺ Marine Parade Road (Loop)|
|Passes Through||Marsiling, Bukit Panjang, Whitley, Jln Toa Payoh, Eunos, Still Rd|
|Travelling Time||125mins (Offpeak)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||MAN NL323F
Alexander Dennis Enviro500
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2230 (Weekdays | Full Loop)
0545 – 2230 (Sat, Sun/PHs | Full Loop)
2250 – 2330 (Daily | Terminates at Parkway Parade, B02 Marine Parade Rd)
|Departure Times from Looping Point||From Opp Parkway Parade, B01 Marine Parade Rd
0545 – 2330 (Weekdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sat, Sun/PHs)
|0630-0830: 06 – 10 mins
0831-1659: 07 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 08 – 16 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
|Notes||From 2250hrs onwards, buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will terminate at Marine Parade Road (Parkway Parade).|
Service 966 is an inter-town route serving between the housing estates around Woodlands, Bukit Panjang, Jalan Toa Payoh, Eunos and Marine Parade. The route is frequented as a fast connection between Woodlands, Bukit Panjang, Toa Payoh and Eunos due to its long express sectors along the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE) and Pan-Island Expressway (PIE).
The route shares its Woodlands – Bukit Panjang sector with Services 187 and 963, but is otherwise non-duplicative for most of its route and boasts many unique connections. Despite few duplicating routes, this service experiences moderate to low demand during off-peak hours, but very high demand during peak hours. As such, high capacity Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses were deployed in August 2014 to cope with peak hour loads. As of 2015, the BSEP has added a significant eight buses to improve the route, among the most resources allocated to enhancing an existing bus route under the BSEP.
The route being exceptionally long has a runtime of around 2 hours and 20 minutes, and is prone to bunching up and delays due to expressway jams during the peak hours, causing large fluctuations in bus frequency. From 2250hrs onwards (daily), buses leaving Woodlands Regional Int will terminate at Marine Parade Road (Parkway Parade), but continues to operate as Service 966 (without other indications of its half-trip nature).
- Marine Parade Road (Opp Parkway Parade) → Woodlands Int
Weekdays: 0545hrs, 0600hrs, 0615hrs, 0630hrs (4 departures)
Saturdays: 0600hrs, 0615hrs, 0630hrs (3 departures)
Sat/Sun/PHs: 0600hrs, 0620hrs (2 departures)
- Bt Panjang Road (Blk 223) → Marine Parade → Woodlands Int
Weekdays AM Peak; Saturdays 0605hrs; Sunday 0600hrs
- Woodlands Int → Marine Parade (Parkway Parade)
Daily, 2250hrs – 2330hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 966′s fleet comprises MAN NL323F and Alexander Dennis Enviro500 buses.
|Loop Service (via Marine Parade Rd)|
- 2003 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2003 (16 Nov): Introduced between Woodlands Regional Int and Marine Parade (Loop).
- 2007 (07 Jan): Amended to ply Bukit Panjang Rd, Pending Rd, Petir Rd and Dairy Farm Rd in both directions instead of BKE (express)
- 2011 (04 Sep): Amended to Whampoa East instead of Whampoa North, due to the closure of Whampoa North for the new Woodsville Interchange
- 2012 (21 Oct): Amended to skip Bendemeer Rd / Serangoon Rd entirely
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2014 (18 Aug): Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double-deck buses deployed
- Refer to this article
- 2007: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2007.
External Links & References: