View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT Bus Service 970 is a trunk route linking Bukit Panjang and Shenton Way Terminal, passing through Hillview, Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah, Sixth Avenue, Holland Avenue, Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandra, River Valley, Kim Seng/Zion Road, Chinatown, Telok Ayer and Cecil Street / Shenton Way.
^ SMRT Mercedes-Benz OC500LE (SMB91Y) – Service 970
|Route||Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park ↔ Shenton Way Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Hillview, Bt Batok, Bt Timah, Sixth Ave, Holland Ave, Commonwealth Ave, Alexandra, River Valley, Kim Seng/Zion Rd, Chinatown, Telok Ayer, Cecil St/Shenton Way|
|Route Length||26.4km (D1) | 25.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||90 – 95mins|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– DAF SB220
– MAN NL323F
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
|Departure Times from T1||0525 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0630 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 09 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 18 mins
After 1930: 15 – 18 mins
|0630-0830: 11 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 16 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 13 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
Service 970 is an inter-town route linking public and private housing estates of Bukit Panjang, Hillview, Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah, Sixth Avenue, Holland Village, Commonwealth and Alexandra, with the City areas of River Valley, Great World, Outram Park, Chinatown, Telok Ayer and Shenton Way.
Despite its many unique connections, the route serves many low-density estates and demand is moderate to low as a result. Much of its demand comes from shuttling commuters between various points of its lenghty route. The fleet comprises of rigid buses, and high capacity double-deck / articulated buses are not deployed due to a lack of demand.
No boarding and alighting is allowed at Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park & Shenton Way Ter. Shenton Way-bound trips start from Petir Road (44851 Bukit Panjang Station); Bukit Panjang-bound trips terminate at Jebulu Road (44631 Opp Bt Panjang Plaza).
As part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements, Service 970 towards Shenton Way will call at a new bus stop, Bt Panjang Rd – Blk 184 instead of Bukit Panjang Rd – Blk 183, from 27 December 2015. The poster is attached here.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 970′s fleet comprises DAF SB220, MAN NL323F and Mercedes-Benz OC500LE buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2000 (20 Aug): Introduced between Bukit Panjang Int and Shenton Way Ter
- 2012 (29 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2012 (16 Dec): Route amended for the construction of Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub. Terminus relocated to Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park, Shenton Way-bound trips start from Petir Road (44851 Bukit Panjang Station); Bukit Panjang-bound trips terminate at Jebulu Road (44631 Opp Bt Panjang Plaza).
- 2015 (27 Dec): Calls at Blk 184 instead of Blk 183 along Bt Panjang Rd towards Marina Centre as part of DTL2 Bukit Panjang Bus Service Enhancements. Also calls at Hillview Station along Upp Bt Timah Rd
- Refer to this article
- 2000: No significant route changes since 2000.
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles