SMRT Bus Service 980 is a trunk route between Sembawang Interchange and Lorong 1 Geylang Terminal, passing through Sembawang Road, Thomson, Kampong Java, Middle Road and Beach Road.
|Route||Sembawang Bus Interchange ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Sembawang Rd, Thomson, Kampong Java, Middle Rd and Beach Rd|
|Route Length||25.4km (D1) | 24.8km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0555 – 2330 (Weekdays, Saturdays)
0600 – 2330 (Sundays/PHs)
|Departure Times from T2||0600 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 12 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 14 – 18 mins
After 1930: 15 – 18 mins
|0630-0830: 15 – 16 mins
0831-1659: 14 – 17 mins
1700-1930: 16 – 17 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
Service 980 is an inter-town trunk route linking housing estates around Sembawang and Yishun, and the suburban areas of Upper Thomson and Thomson, providing connections to the City areas of Novena, Rochor Canal, Middle Road and Beach Road. Along with Service 167, it serves the full stretch of Upper Thomson Road and connects to the city, and compliments Service 166 between Upper Thomson and Rochor Canal.
Demand for this route remains moderate to low throughout the day owing to the presence of duplicate routes and low-density developments along much of its route. As such, the route plays a largely supplementary role and operates at low frequencies throughout the day.
Formerly a Singapore Bus Service (SBS) route since the 1970s (then known as Service 160), the route was transferred to Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS) in 1983, renumbered Service 980 in 1998 and has been operated by SMRT ever since. High capacity articulated / double-deck buses are not deployed due to insufficient demand.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 980′s fleet comprises Mercedes-Benz OC500LE and MAN NL323F buses.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1970s – 1973: United Bus Company Pte Ltd
- 1973 – 2000: Singapore Bus Services Ltd
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1970 (11 Apr): Original route as Service 160, plying Admiralty Rd West (Canberra Gate) – Crawford St. Handed to TIBS in 1983 (03 Apr)
- 1998 (27 Dec): Renumbered Service 980, and plying Admiralty Rd West – Geylang Lorong 1 Ter after closure of Crawford St Ter
- 2005 (20 Nov): Amended to Sembawang interchange via Sembawang Vista, Sembawang Drive and Sembawang Avenue.
- 2006 (03 Dec): Extended to ply along Admiralty Drive and Canberra Road
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- Refer to this article
- 2006: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2006.