SMRT Bus Service 981 is a Peak-Hour unidirectional trunk route between Sembawang Interchange and Senoko Industrial Estate, passing through Canberra Road and Senoko Drive.
|Route||[AM]: Sembawang Bus Interchange → Senoko Loop (Aft Leaf Tobacco Devt Corp)
[PM]: Senoko Road (Opp Lian Aik Song Machinery) → Sembawang Bus Interchange
|Passes Through||Canberra Road, Senoko Drive|
|Route Length||8.2 km (D1) | 8.3 km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– MAN NL323F
|Departure Times from T1||0645 – 0915 (Weekdays)|
|Departure Times from T2||1700 – 1930 (Weekdays)
1200 – 1400 (Saturdays)
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 12 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 13 – 14 mins
After 1930: –
1700-1930: 18 – 20 mins
After 1930: 17 – 20 mins
Service 981 is a largely industrial route, connecting the many industries around Senoko Loop, Senoko Dr, Senoko Rd, Senoko Ave and Admiralty Rd West with transport nodes at Sembawang Town Centre. Operating only on Weekdays and Saturdays, the route plies in a unidirectional fashion, with Senoko-bound trips in the morning and Sembawang-bound trips in the afternoon or evening. (On Saturdays, the return trips are operated in the afternoon rather than the evening.)
Apart from Service 981, services 169 and 856 provide daily bus connections to the industrial areas around Senoko and Admiralty Rd West. High capacity double-deck / articulated buses are not deployed as rigid buses are able to cope with demand levels.
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 1999 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 1999: Introduced as a unidirectional peak hour service between Sembawang MRT and Senoko. Morning trips towards Senoko on Mondays to Saturdays, return trips to Sembawang on Weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons.
- 2005 (20 Nov): Amended to Sembawang interchange via Sembawang Drive and Sembawang Vista
- 2013: Service improvement under the Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP)
- 2013 (21 Apr): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (12 Oct): Start of Double Decker Bus Deployments
- Refer to this article
- 2005: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2005.