View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT Bus Service 985 is a trunk route between Choa Chu Kang Interchange and Lorong 1 Geylang Terminal, passing through Teck Whye, Bukit Batok West, Bukit Batok, Jln Jurong Kechil, PIE, Jln Toa Payoh and Boon Keng Road.
Service 985 started double-deck bus deployments from 13 Jul 2015.
^ SMRT Mercedes-Benz OC500LE (SMB108J) – Service 985
|Route||Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange ↔ Lorong 1 Geylang Bus Terminal|
|Passes Through||Teck Whye, Bukit Batok West, Bukit Batok, Jln Jurong Kechil, PIE, Jln Toa Payoh, Boon Keng Road.|
|Route Length||25.5km (D1) | 26.3km (D2)|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot
Bulim Bus Depot
|Current Fleet||12-metre Double Deck Bus:
– Alexander Dennis Enviro500
12-metre Single Deck Bus:
– DAF SB220
– MAN NL323F
– Mercedes-Benz OC500LE
|Departure Times from T1||0530 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Departure Times from T2||0545 – 2330 (Daily)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 09 – 13 mins
0831-1659: 08 – 14 mins
1700-1930: 09 – 16 mins
After 1930: 14 – 16 mins
|0630-0830: 09 – 15 mins
0831-1659: 09 – 15 mins
1700-1930: 10 – 13 mins
After 1930: 13 – 16 mins
Service 985 is an inter-town trunk route linking housing estates around Choa Chu Kang / Teck Whye, Bukit Batok and Jln Jurong Kechil with the Central areas of Boon Keng and Kallang, incorporating an express sector along the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) between Jln Jurong Kechil and Jln Toa Payoh.
The route compliments Service 190 and 975 for the Choa Chu Kang – Teck Whye stretch and Service 188 for the Choa Chu Kang – Bt Gombak stretch. It also plies between Bukit Batok – Jalan Toa Payoh along the PIE, providing a slightly longer alternative route for passengers who would otherwise rely on Express 506.
Demand for this route remains moderate throughout the day and operates at generally low frequencies, with comparably higher demand during peak hours. A double-deck bus was allocated to the route since 13 Jul 2015, and articulated buses do appear on the route once in a while.
- Choa Chu Kang Road (Blk 26) → Choa Chu Kang Int
Weekdays/Sat: 0520hrs, 0535hrs, 0550hrs, 0605hrs
Sun/PHs: 0530hrs, 0545hrs, 0600hrs, 0615hrs
Fare: Charges fares for regular trunk services. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: Service 985’s fleet comprises DAF SB220, Mercedes-Benz OC500LE and MAN NL323F buses. The route receives the occasional articulated bus as pullovers from other bus services at Choa Chu Kang. Double deck buses were deployed since 13 Jul 2015.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 2003 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2003 (27 Jul): Introduced after the merger of Services 185 and 989, running between Choa Chu Kang Int and Lor 1 Geylang Ter.
- 2006 (30 Apr): Amended to serve Bt Batok West Ave 5 & 7 instead of Bt Batok Rd & Bt Batok West Ave 7. Deleted sector between Bt Batok Rd & Bt Batok West Ave 7 was re-introduced as Service 985W on 15th Oct 2006, but subsequently withdrawn on 13th Oct 2007.
- 2012 (15 Nov): Designated wheelchair-accessible bus route (WAB)
- 2015 (13 Jul): Start of double decker deployments
- Refer to this article
- 2006: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2006.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles