View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT NightRider NR3 is a unidirectional night bus route running from South Bridge Road to Choa Chu Kang, passing through Clarke Quay, River Valley, Orchard Road, Stevens, Bukit Panjang, Teck Whye and Yew Tee.
Operating on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays, it is one of seven NightRider bus routes operated by SMRT Buses, and the only one which does not serve the Marina Centre area.
^ SMRT MAN NL323F (SMB3022C) – Service NR3
|Route||South Bridge Road (Boat Quay) → Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange|
|Passes Through||Clarke Quay, River Valley, Orchard Road, Stevens, Bukit Panjang, Teck Whye, Yew Tee|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)|
|Current Fleet||MAN NL323F
Any rigid bus
|Shifts||6 departures from Boat Quay|
|Departure Times from T1||Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays
2330hrs – 0200hrs (the following day)
After 1930: 30 mins
NightRider NR3 is a late-night service connecting the city areas of Clarke Quay, River Valley and Orchard with the residential estates of Bukit Panjang, Teck Whye, Choa Chu Kang and Yew Tee. Operating only on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays (and special occasions if announced), the route shuttles late-night dwellers from the City to the residential estates outside the City.
Operating at a frequency of 30 minutes, six trips are operated from Boat Quay, departing at 2330hrs, 0000hrs, 0030hrs, 0100hrs, 0130hrs and 0200hrs.
The route has an long express sector between Whitley Road and Bukit Panjang Road, plying around 10km of expressway (along PIE and BKE) in both directions. Other parts of the route follow major trunk roads.
NR3 is also only NightRider that does not serve Marina Centre. Passengers may transfer to NR3 from other NR services at Clarke Quay MRT (see Fares for more information). During festive periods such as Christmas Eve or New Years’ Eve, more departures will be added to cater for late-night dwellers.
Flat Fare: $4.50 (Cash / Ez-link card)
NightRider commuters who pay by ez-link card will enjoy a free transfer to another NightRider service within a stipulated time of 45mins. This is not applicable when transferring from an ordinary service to a NightRider service. Concessionary travel is not applicable.
This service uses any random rigid bus from Woodlands Depot, but most commonly MAN NL323Fs.
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2000 (26 May): Introduced as a unidirectional night service from Marina Centre to Choa Chu Kang
- 2000 (18 Dec): Converted into bidirectional service looping at North Canal
- 2002/03 (???): Amended to serve CCK North 5, St 52 and Cres
- 2002/03 (???): Amended to serve CCK Ave 2 and Way, skipping a section of CCK Ave 1
- 2014 (30 Apr): Converted to unidirectional operation from Boat Quay to Choa Chu Kang due to low ridership. Revised departure times from 11:30pm and 2:00am, and City-bound return services will cease to operate.
- 2015 (Nov): Calls at BS13211 Aft Unity St instead of N1609 LP 11 along Muhd Sultan Rd
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to NightRider Services
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles