View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT NightRider NR7 is an overnight bus route running from Marina Centre Terminal to Loyang Avenue, passing through City Hall, River Valley, Orchard, Victoria St, Geylang, Kaki Bukit, Bedok North, Tanah Merah, Simei, Tampines and Pasir Ris.
Operating on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays, it is one of seven NightRider bus routes operated by SMRT Buses, and the longest by distance.
^ SMRT MAN NL323F (SMB1511X) – Service NR7
|Route||Marina Centre Bus Terminal → Loyang Avenue (Opp Blk 275)|
|Passes Through||City Hall, Clarke Quay, River Valley, Orchard, Victoria St, Geylang, Kaki Bukit, Bedok North, Tanah Merah, Simei, Tampines, Pasir Ris|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Ang Mo Kio Bus Depot (AMDEP)|
|Current Fleet||Mercedes-Benz O405G
Any rigid/bendy bus
|Shifts||6 departures from Marina Centre|
|Departure Times from T1||Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays
2335hrs – 0200hrs (the following day)
After 1930: 29 mins
NightRider NR7 is a late-night service connecting the city areas of Marina Centre, City Hall, River Valley and Orchard with the residential estates of Kaki Bukit, Bedok North, Tanah Merah, Simei, Tampines and Pasir Ris. Operating only on Fridays, Saturdays & Eves of Public Holidays (and special occasions if announced), the route shuttles late-night dwellers from the City to the residential estates outside the City.
Operating at a frequency of 29 minutes, six trips are operated from Marina Centre, departing at 2335hrs, 0004hrs, 0033hrs, 0102hrs, 0131hrs and 0200hrs.
A large portion of the route duplicates major trunk roads along the East-West Line. Before its route shortening in 2014, it was 76.3km long, the longest bus route in Singapore by distance, with Service 858 taking second place (73.4km). It is also the longest NightRider service by runtime, with a total journey time of almost 3 hours. Now, it is just 41.2km long.
NightRider NR7 was introduced on 26th May 2000 by Trans-Island Bus Service (TIBS). Originally a single-directional service from Marina Centre to Pasir Ris, it was later converted to bi-directional loop operation. It offered daily unidirectional service in 2003 after merger with SMRT NightBus SN10 and NightRider NR8 (operating Marina Centre to Pasir Ris), with the existing Friday/Saturdays/Eves of PHs route amended to incorporate NightRider NR8’s routing. Weekday night services were cancelled in 2004 owing to low demand. Finally, the route was converted to unidirectional operation terminating at Pasir Ris in 2014.
During festive periods such as Christmas Eve or New Years’ Eve, more departures and downroute buses will be added to cater for late-night dwellers.
Flat Fare: $4.50 (Cash / Ez-link card)
NightRider commuters who pay by ez-link card will enjoy a free transfer to another NightRider service within a stipulated time of 45mins. This is not applicable when transferring from an ordinary service to a NightRider service. Concessionary travel is not applicable.
This service uses any random buses from Ang Mo Kio Depot, most commonly Mercedes-Benz O405G and MAN NL323F buses. Currently, rigid buses from Service 171 have scheduled crossovers to this service. During festive periods, high-capacity bendy buses will be deployed.
- 2000 – 2004: Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd
- 2004 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
|SMB74Y – NightRider NR7||TIB1148J – NightRider NR7|
- 2000 (26 May): Introduced as a unidirectional night service from Marina Centre to Pasir Ris
- 2000 (18 Dec): Converted into bidirectional service looping at Pasir Ris
- 2001: Amended to Upper East Coast Rd and Bedok Rd (skipping ECP and Xilin Ave), and Tampines Ave 5, 4 and 7 (skipping Ave 2)
- 2003 (01 Jul): Merged with Night Service SN10 and NightRider NR8 to ply Victoria Street, Sims Avenue/Geylang Road, Kaki Bukit, Bedok North and Tanah Merah, removing previous sectors along ECP, Marine Parade and Upper East Coast. Also amended to ply Simei Rd and Simei St 3 replacing the full stretch of Simei Ave. At the same time, unidirectional weeknight departures from Marina Centre to Pasir Ris were operated to cover the withdrawn SN10. Services on Fridays/Saturdays/eves of PHs remained bidirectional.
- 2004 (23 May): Weeknight services withdrawn due to low demand
- 2014 (30 Apr): Converted to unidirectional operation from Marina Centre to Pasir Ris due to low ridership, terminating at Loyang Ave. Revised departure times from 11:35pm and 2:00am, and City-bound return services will cease to operate.
- Refer to this article
- 2014: Amended to present routing. No significant route changes since 2014.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
Back to NightRider Services
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles