For a more updated version of this article, click here.
Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange is located at Woodlands Town Centre. Completed and opened along with the Woodlands extension of the North South Line in 1996, it is the first underground bus interchange in Singapore, as well as one of the largest. Amenities around the Interchange include the Causeway Point Shopping Mall, Woodlands Civic Centre and the Woodlands Regional Library.
Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange will open from 12 March 2016. The last day of operations of Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange will be on 11 March 2016.
Name: Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange | 兀兰区域巴士转换站
Service area: Woodlands, Admiralty, Marsiling
Address: 30 Woodlands Avenue 2, Singapore 738343
Principal operator: SMRT
MRT Station: NS9/TE2 Woodlands
Berths: 9 sawtooth, 5-6 alighting
Bus services: 26 (SMRT), 2 (SBST), 1 (Commute Solutions & BT&Tan), 1 (Rui Feng Chartered)
Before the interchange came into operation, bus services in Woodlands were served by Woodlands Bus Interchange located at Woodlands Centre Road. In existence since the 1970s, the interchange served the former Woodlands Town Centre, which was located very near to the Causeway.
Another bus terminal, Marsiling Bus Terminal, was situated not too far away at Marsiling Town, beside Block 201 along Admiralty Road. Introduced in the 1980s, this bus terminal was home to TIBS services 950, 951 and 952, which went to Shenton Way, Jurong and Marina Centre respectively.
In 1996, both bus terminals were rendered obsolete. Services were either diverted to the new Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange or withdrawn.
When the Government announced to extend the North-South Line MRT between Yishun and Choa Chu Kang via Woodlands, there were accelerated plans to relocate and develop a new town centre for Woodlands New Town, to be located at Woodlands Square. Built at a cost of $34 million, the Woodlands Regional Bus Interchange was built underneath the elevated Woodlands MRT Station, with station facilities occupying the ground floor. This space-maximizing design was the first of its kind in Singapore, and could accommodate both articulated and double-deck buses. It opened on 10 February 1996, the very same day Woodlands MRT Station opened for service.
The interchange has two exit ramps; the West exit leads to Woodlands Avenue 3 and 5, while the East exit leads to Woodlands Avenue 2 and 7. Although the interchange berths are enclosed underneath the MRT station, the parking area near the west exit is open-air. The berth allocation is such that Berths 1 to 8 will depart towards the East exit, and berths 9 to 16 depart towards the West exit, which means that buses do not have to turn back after picking up passengers. The only exceptions are Service 161 and 168 which depart at the east exit, but are located in Berths 15 and 16 due to space constraints.
The space-saving design was intended to leave more space around Woodlands Regional Centre for future development, but much of the area around it still remains undeveloped, with only Causeway Point and Woodlands Civic Centre. Recent plans to develop the surrounding area were announced together with the upcoming Thomson Line.
Temporary Bus Interchange:
With the construction of the Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL) underneath Woodlands Regional Interchange, alteration works would be carried out to the existing bus interchange. A temporary interchange is being constructed next to Woodlands MRT Station for the relocation of some or all of the bus services currently serving Woodlands Regional Interchange.
Construction of Woodlands Regional Temporary Bus Interchange was awarded to JS Metal Pte. Ltd. on 17 Mar 2014, at a sum of S$12,650,000.00.
Feeder bus services:
Woodlands is home to the 90_ and 91_ series of feeder and intratown services:
- Service 900 (old): Looped at Woodlands Centre Road via Woodlands Street 13. Merged with 901 to form Intratown 911 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 900 (new): Re-introduced in 1999 and looped at Woodlands Drive 14.
- Service 900A: Variant of service 900 that served Champions Way and Woodlands Drive 17. Operates during selected times on weekdays.
- Service 901 (old): Looped at Woodlands Street 81 via Woodlands Avenue 4. Merged with 900 to form Intratown 911 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 901 (new): Re-introduced in 1999 and looped at Woodlands Drive 16.
- Service 902 (old): Looped at Woodlands Street 41. Merged with 905 to form Intratown 912 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 902 (new): Re-introduced in 2006 as a one-directional AM peak service to Woodlands Avenue 9 (Republic Poly).
- Service 903: Looped at Woodlands Centre Road, via Marsiling Lane
- Service 904 (old): Looped at Woodlands Centre Road, via Marsiling Road and Marsiling Rise. Merged with 906 to form Intratown 913 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 904: Re-introduced in 2013 under the BSEP scheme, loops at Woodlands Crescent.
- Service 905: Looped at Woodlands Drive 50. Merged with 902 to form Intratown 912 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 906: Looped at Woodlands Circle via Admiralty MRT. Merged with 904 to form Intratown 913 and withdrawn in late 1996.
- Service 911: Intratown service formed by the merger of Feeder 900 and 901 in late 1996. Loops at Woodlands Avenue 2 and Woodlands Centre Road
- Service 912: Intratown service formed by the merger of Feeder 902 and 905 in late 1996. In 1997, extended to loop at Admiralty MRT station via Woodlands Ring Rd. Now loops at Woodlands Avenue 7 and Woodlands Centre Road.
- Service 913: Intratown service formed by the merger of Feeder 904 and 906 in late 1996. Loops at Woodlands Circle and Woodlands Centre Road.
Intratown services perform two different loops and use the interchange as an intermediate stop before proceeding onto the second loop.
- Interchange offices (SMRT)
- Transitlink Office
- Drivers lounge
- Boarding and alighting berths
- Information boards & Bus arrival displays
- Retail outlets
Bus Services List:
|169||B7||Ang Mo Kio|
|858||B4||↺ Changi Airport|
|900||B5||↺ Woodlands Drive 14|
|900A||↺ Woodlands Drive 17||Weekdays selected times|
|901||B5||↺ Woodlands Avenue 6|
|902||B6||Woodlands Avenue 9||Weekday mornings
Excluding RP Vacation
|903||B4||↺ Woodlands Centre Road|
|903P||B4||↺ Marsiling Lane||Weekdays AM/PM Peak|
|904||B6||↺ Woodlands Crescent|
|911/E||B8||↺ Woodlands Avenue 2|
|B11||↺ Woodlands Centre Road|
|912/E||B8||↺ Woodlands Avenue 7|
|B12||↺ Woodlands Centre Road|
|912P||B12||↺ Woodlands St 41||Weekdays AM/PM Peak|
|913/E||B7||↺ Woodlands Circle|
|B12||↺ Woodlands Centre Road|
|925 / 925#||B11||Choa Chu Kang||Weekdays, Sat & Eves of PHs|
|↺ Neo Tiew Crescent||Sundays & PHs|
|926||B7||↺ Mandai Lake Road||Sundays & PHs|
|950||B14||↺ JB Sentral||Cross border route|
|961/ 961#||B15||Geylang Lorong 1||Weekdays, Saturdays|
|Geylang Lorong 1||Sundays & PH|
|962||B8||↺ Admiralty Street|
Weekdays AM/PM Peak
|963R||B15||Resorts World Sentosa||Express service
Weekends & PHs
|964||B7||↺ Woodlands Link||Weekdays, Sat & Eves of PHs|
|966||B14||↺ Marine Parade Road|
Berths 1 to 8 are located to the South, with traffic flow in the direction of Woodlands Avenue 2 and 7. Berths 9 to 16 are located to the North, with traffic flow in the direction of Woodlands Avenue 3 and 5.
|B1||For alighting only|
|B2||For alighting only|
Wheelchair-accessible service boarding berth (187, 858, 950, 966)
North-South Line Rail Bridging Service (towards Marina South Pier)
|B4||858/858A, 903/903P, 969|
|B5||900/A, 901, 965|
|B7||169, 913 (Wdl Circle), 926, 964|
|B8||911 (Wdl St 82/83), 912 (Wdl Ring Rd), 962|
North-South Line Rail Bridging Service (towards Jurong East)
|B11||856, 911 (Train Checkpoint), 925/#|
|B12||178/A, 912 (Train Checkpoint), 912P, 913 (Train Checkpoint)|
|B13||Layover / Alighting berth|
Ngee Ann Polytechnic Shuttle Service
|B15||161, 961/961C, 963, 963E/963R
Nanyang Polytechnic Shuttle Service
|B16||168, 187, 960|
External Links & References: