View the updated article at our new site, Land Transport Guru. Click here to continue.
SMRT Express Service 971E is an Peak hour Express service between Bukit Panjang and Shenton Way, passing through PIE, Orchard and Bras Basah.
|Route||[AM]: Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park → Cecil Street (Prudential Tower)
[PM]: Anson Road (International Tower) → Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park
|Passes Through||PIE, Orchard, Bras Basah|
|Route Length||25.0km (D1) | 23.8km (D2)|
|Travelling Time||70 – 75mins|
|Current Operator||SMRT Buses|
|Current Depot||Kranji Bus Depot (KJDEP)
Woodlands Bus Depot (WLDEP)
|Current Fleet||Mercedes-Benz O405G
|Departure Times from T1||0705 – 0745 (Weekdays)|
|Departure Times from T2||1805 – 1830 (Weekdays)|
|Frequency||Direction 1||Direction 2|
|0630-0830: 06 – 07mins
After 1930: –
1700-1930: 10 – 15 mins
After 1930: –
Introduced on 14th March 2011, Service 971E provides passengers in Bukit Panjang with alternative means of transport to the Orchard Road and Shenton Way. The limited rail connectivity in Bukit Panjang creates a lucrative opportunity for direct bus services to the city, and this service has received many additional buses since its inauguration, from just 2 morning departures to 7 morning and 3 evening departures in April 2013.
This service has two major competitors in Bukit Panjang, Premium 555 and Premium 722. Both offer direct services to Shenton Way but charge higher fares (given their Premium designation). Alternatively, Service 700 plies from Bukit Panjang to Shenton Way via Orchard, but the hassle of transferring buses may not appeal to many commuters.
The introduction of Service 972 under the BSEP scheme has taken much loading off this route by running parallel to it between Bukit Panjang and Dhoby Ghaut. Compare these two journeys from Bukit Panjang to Shenton Way (UIC Bldg):
- JOURNEY 1: Service 971E
Boarding at 44731 Jelebu Road (Opp Blk 180), Alighting at 03129 Shenton Way (UIC Bldg)
Adult Card Fare: $2.38
- JOURNEY 2: Service 972 & 700
Boarding at 44251 Bt Panjang Rd (Blk 604), Transferring to Service 700 at Orchard Rd (Dhoby Ghaut Stn). Alighting at 03129 Shenton Way (UIC Bldg).
Adult Card Fare: $1.81
Despite the slightly higher fares, many commuters prefer the direct express route to Shenton Way without the hassle of transferring buses. The route still enjoys high demand daily from passengers heading to Shenton Way.
- Jelebu Road (opp Blk 180): 0711, 0718, 0725, 0732, 0739, 0745, 0751
- Anson Road (Int’l Plaza): 1805, 1815, 1830
Fare: Charges regular distance-based express fares. See Bus Fares for exact fares.
Fleet: See Above.
|Direction 1||Direction 2|
- 2011 – Present: SMRT Buses Ltd
The Bus Service Operating License (BSOL) for this route will be renewed in 2016.
- 2011 (14 Mar): Introduced as a unidirectional AM peak hour service from Bukit Panjang to Cecil Street. Operates two trips on weekday mornings, at 7:30am and 7:45am. Charges Express fares under the Distance-Based Fare scheme.
- 2011 (Jun): 3rd AM Peak departure from Bukit Panjang
- 2011 (29 Aug): Introduction of two evening PM Peak trips from Anson Road to Bukit Panjang at 6:30pm and 6:45pm. One bendy bus slot for AM Peak.
- 2011 (Dec): 4th AM Peak departure from Bukit Panjang
- 2012 (Mar): Second bendy bus slot for AM Peak.
- 2012 (Sep): 5th AM Peak departure from Bukit Panjang
- 2012 (Dec): 6th AM Peak departure from Bukit Panjang
- 2013 (15 Apr): 7th AM Peak departure from Bukit Panjang and 3rd PM Peak departure from Anson Road
- 2015 (17 Aug): Calls at two new bus stops along Fajar Rd
- 2015 (07 Sep): Calls at a pair of new bus stops along Segar Rd
- Refer to this article
- 2011: No significant route changes since 2011.
External Links & References:
- TransitLink E-Guide
- SGWiki – Buses
Back to Express Bus Services
Back to Bus Services
Back to Bus Articles