SBS Transit CityShopper Services were introduced on 15 December 2007 to provide a fast and convenient bus service linking various housing estates with major shopping districts in the City. Similar to the concept of Premium services, CityShopper services catered to passengers who were willing to pay more for a guaranteed seat from the suburbs to the City and back in air-conditioned comfort, along a direct route that maximized the use of expressways.
Eight CityShopper routes were operated from the neighbourhood towns of Hougang, Bedok, Tampines West, Ang Mo Kio, Sengkang, Tampines East/Simei, West Coast and Punggol, and numbered 551, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580 and 581 respectively. All routes operated in a loop fashion, serving Orchard Road, Bras Basah Road and Suntec City before returning back to their respective housing estates.
Declining ridership lead to the subsequent withdrawal as such:
Hougang, Bedok, Ang Mo Kio and West Coast routes (551, 575, 577, 580) on 21 Jul 2008, the Tampines West route (576) on 28 Oct 2008, and the final three routes from Sengkang, Tampines East/Simei and Punggol (578, 579, 581) withdrew on 27 Jul 2009.
CityShopper services operated every 30 minutes between 10:00am and 4:30pm on Weekdays, and between 10.00am to 10.00pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. On the day of 576’s withdrawal (28 Oct 2008), operating hours of 578, 579, 581 were shortened to between 12:00pm and 4:30pm on Weekdays, and between 10.00am to 9.00pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. From 10:00am to 12:00am on weekdays, a one-directional service terminating at Suntec City was operated, using the A-suffix (hence 578A, 579A and 581A).
Throughout their short-lived existence, CityShopper routes charged a flat fare of $3.30 for Services 551, 575, 576, 577, 579 & 580, and $3.60 for Services 578 & 581, payable by either cash or EZ-Link card. A flat fare of $1.00 was charged for Child/Student. Transfer rebates were applicable on all CityShopper Services.
- Service 551: Upper Serangoon Road (Hougang Plaza) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 575: Bedok South Road (Opp Temasek JC) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 576: Tampines Avenue 7 (Opp Tampines JC) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 577: Ang Mo Kio Avenue 9 (Opp Ang Mo Kio Comm Hosp) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 578: Compassvale Street (Blk 291A) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 579: Tampines Street 41 (Blk 417) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 580: Teban Gardens Road (Teban Gardens PO) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
- Service 581: Punggol Central (Opp Blk 293) ↺ Orchard/Suntec City
Shortworking Trip Services:
- Service 578A: Compassvale St (Blk 291A) → Temasek Blvd (Suntec Tower Two)
- Service 579A: Tampines St 41 (Blk 417) → Temasek Ave (Opp Centennial Twr)
- Service 581A: Punggol Ctrl (Opp Blk 293) → Temasek Blvd (Suntec Tower Two)
External Links & References:
- Going shopping in comfort with Cityshopper Services – SBS Transit
- CityShopper Services 551, 575, 577 & 580 will no longer be offered – SBS Transit
- Cityshopper Services – Suspension of Service & Changes in Operating Details – SBS Transit
- CityShopper Services 578, 579 and 581 will no longer be offered – SBS Transit
- Historical Routes of SBS Transit CityShopper Services – PTSG
- SBS Transit CityShopper Services : SGWiki
- SBS Transit flyers